Changed my 3 speed tranny & t-case today (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ca./S.C. Now living in the Philippines Moving back
Well my t-case was shot so I bought another complete tranny & t-case from a 76. I could not find a come-a-long or a chain jack anywhere here in the Philippines. I am suer someone somewhere have them but not in my area. So I built a small A-frame and with a rope and a turn buckle I changed that puppy with old muscle and will power. Took me from 6am until 5 pm but I got it lol! Now I am sure my body will let me know tonight and tomorrow ha ha. Anyone else ever redneck a tranny?:wrench:
101_7080.jpg
101_7084.jpg
101_7105.jpg

Here a 76 would mean a four speed but in your part of earth it may have come standard with a three speed in 76. In that case it just a straight trade as compared to having to do drive line work. I use to change my three speed transmission and transfer case just by laying on the ground and pulling it out. Switch to a four speed in 94 so thrrre speed work was when I was a much younger man. Probably a good thing I swtched to a four speed since there is no why I would try doing a four speed by laying on the ground. Really too old to do a three speed now and the four speed keeps me from doing something stupid.

:cheers:

Here a 76 would mean a four speed but in your part of earth it may have come standard with a three speed in 76. In that case it just a straight trade as compared to having to do drive line work. I use to change my three speed transmission and transfer case just by laying on the ground and pulling it out. Switch to a four speed in 94 so thrrre speed work was when I was a much younger man. Probably a good thing I swtched to a four speed since there is no why I would try doing a four speed by laying on the ground. Really too old to do a three speed now and the four speed keeps me from doing something stupid.

Haa haaa You got that right. I'm 57 and tired ha ha. And yes here in the Philippines a lot of later model 3 speeds and 74 tubs I think were standard Asia stuff once.

Nice one. I redneck everything... I also just lay under the rig and drop that TC right onto my chest. I am only 39 but 6'5" and built to take a TC right on the chest... the Tranny comes second, so long as they are separated first... it still hurts a little the next day though... ha ha ha.

I am preparing to switch out to a 4 speed, but that F%$#er is a little heavier, so I'l be using a tranny jack this time. Work smarter not harder right?

Nice one. I redneck everything... I also just lay under the rig and drop that TC right onto my chest. I am only 39 but 6'5" and built to take a TC right on the chest... the Tranny comes second, so long as they are separated first... it still hurts a little the next day though... ha ha ha.

I am preparing to switch out to a 4 speed, but that F%$#er is a little heavier, so I'l be using a tranny jack this time. Work smarter not harder right?

I used to pull them together. First time was probably winter of 74/75. On a sloppy engine rebuild by the PO the locking tabs weren't folded over on the bolts for teh fly wheel. one loosened up just enough to lock the clutch up. This was in Flagstaff, AZ which is at 6,900' elevation and outside. But I was a little younger back in the mid seventies and a lot dumber. Anyone who can muscle a Land Cruiser four speed in from underneath is somebody I'm not goig to mess with.:eek: On you FJ55 you probably have no choice but to use a transmission jack the inspection cover doesn't really give you much room to work with from the top like the pre 79 FJ40s:hmm:

Roboosfj40s I've got you bet in age, but not by much. Not sure that is something to be proud of:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom