Disconnecting the battery itself doesn't screw anything up, right? I'm going to have to leave my '92 for an extended period, and I thought I'd get one of those disconnect switches -- or just disconnect the positive cable.
The fuse links (3) are not really great IMHO and sometimes come from the factory in a mangled, twisted state. Sometimes one of them could be high resistance or broken. Leaving the battery disconnected won't hurt anything. FYI, the computer draws approx. 11.3ma in idle state.
Thanks! From my boating experience,I've always thought battery posts should be lonely soldiers with a single wire to a protected buss. My problem turned out to be a chitty wiring job by the previous owner...obviously not a mud hater...everything is fine....for now.