Chance to buy 40k mile 2000 LX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm not new to Cruisers. I had a really solid 62 for years and always loved 100's. Attended club meetings until I sold my 62. Local guy I know has a light green 2000 LX470 with less than 40k miles. Lived it's life in Southern Kentucky and middle TN. All service records from new. First owner had it serviced at dealer until 2016. Garaged entire life. Literally looks new inside and out. Timing belt and suspension hydraulic fluid changed in 2016. Suspension leaked around 2001 and was addressed then. All maintenance and fluid changes up to date. It was new on the lot in November of 99. How concerned should I be about the suspension, the 4 speed transmission.....and is it nuts to consider spending mid twenties on this thing. Color is unique and looks good, in my opinion, and if it were 2001 model or newer I may not be as hesitant. Thanks.

FYI - Truck is not listed for sale anywhere.

Seems like an awfully high premium, on a non "collectable" vehicle, for the low mileage to me, but if it makes you happy... buy it.

Then again, I think the "built" 98-99 models that I've seen listed, with 250k+ miles, at $25-30k are pretty ridiculous too.

Last edited:
I have a 98 LX with over 250k and the AHC still works (except for the left height sensor that just failed, I'm waiting on a replacement). I have no issues with the transmission either. I drove it out west twice last year, over 7000 miles for just those two trips with zero issues. When its not on a trail I use it as a daily driver.

What are you waiting for? Buy it and enjoy it.

The favorite pastime of people on mud is to buy rigs that are rust free, but neglected on easy maintenance items by ignorant owners, like heater tees etc.

Step 1: You buy for a price that's 'undisclosed' after a long search, and end up with a rig that has 250k ish miles on it.

Step 2: Proceed to spend twice the purchase price 'baselining' it and swapping out fluids and replacing seals for no good reason

Step 3: Buy a bunch of random vendor garbage for it, adorn your on road masterpiece with as much as you can.

Step 4: Pimp pictures of your generic looking grocery wagon here on a forum that is primarily populated only by people too technically incompetent or elitist to spend time on Facebook

Should you be worried about the 4 speed and the AHC? No. many similar vehicles have gone well over 300k miles with the same setup.

Is it worth spending $25k on such a vehicle? Probably not.

I bought a crazy low mile fzj80 before my LX and after owning it i would have rather bought one with more miles that was maintained more regularly.

That LX you're looking at drove less than 2k miles a year, or sat for a very extended period of time. Things dry up and lock up.

I love my 2000 LX but I'd be kicking myself if i spent over $25k on it.

I'm a car/truck guy who knows his way around an engine bay etc so the low miles don't bother me because I can see in the records it didn't sit and always seemed to get issues addressed. It will stay stock so I'm not adding any overland features. The price is hard to gauge. I can't find low mileage examples to compare and 2000 models seem to be cheaper in general compared to later years. I usually can zero in on fair market value buy checking many different listings. This truck deserves a premium just not sure how much.

The favorite pastime of people on mud is to buy rigs that are rust free, but neglected on easy maintenance items by ignorant owners, like heater tees etc.

Step 1: You buy for a price that's 'undisclosed' after a long search, and end up with a rig that has 250k ish miles on it.

Step 2: Proceed to spend twice the purchase price 'baselining' it and swapping out fluids and replacing seals for no good reason

Step 3: Buy a bunch of random vendor garbage for it, adorn your on road masterpiece with as much as you can.

Step 4: Pimp pictures of your generic looking grocery wagon here on a forum that is primarily populated only by people too technically incompetent or elitist to spend time on Facebook

Starting my day with a big laugh. Cracking up here.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I personally would be significantly leery of a 20 year old LX, (or most any machine that is specifically designed to run, run, run, for that matter), with such crazy low mileage and crazy time sitting around. I think for the general use value and the risks of having issues, that LX is very high priced. For some other collectible reasoning or investment aquisition to later sell to the fringe LX enthusiasts, maybe not a terrible investment. But no way Jose would I buy something like that.

If Land Cruisers sit, they decay, if they run as designed, they live.

I thought it's going to be me only. Oh well, seems like I'm no different.

[/QUOTE

So what are your thoughts on this LX?

I'm not new to Cruisers. I had a really solid 62 for years and always loved 100's. Attended club meetings until I sold my 62. Local guy I know has a light green 2000 LX470 with less than 40k miles. Lived it's life in Southern Kentucky and middle TN. All service records from new. First owner had it serviced at dealer until 2016. Garaged entire life. Literally looks new inside and out. Timing belt and suspension hydraulic fluid changed in 2016. Suspension leaked around 2001 and was addressed then. All maintenance and fluid changes up to date. It was new on the lot in November of 99. How concerned should I be about the suspension, the 4 speed transmission.....and is it nuts to consider spending mid twenties on this thing. Color is unique and looks good, in my opinion, and if it were 2001 model or newer I may not be as hesitant. Thanks.

FYI - Truck is not listed for sale anywhere.

Well the price isn't that bad compared to the same mileage and year Imperial Jade Mica 2000 Tacoma 4x4 5MT. I've seen these trucks selling for as much or more than new. Using Tacoma logic, the price would be around $60,000. LOL

It all depends on what people are willing to pay. All common sense and reasoning goes out the window when dealing with vintage and antique autos.

What I have seen and experienced personally with with low miles vehicles that are old enough to vote, is rubber components and seals deteriorate based on age. Especially in extreme heat or cold climates.

1589806622963.png

I paid $25,000ish for my 2007 LX with 49,000 miles a couple years ago. I haven't regretted it at all. It had good records and had a couple things taken care of right before I bought it. Still need to do that timing belt though...

Granted a 2000 is not a 2007 but I thought I could at least give you one data point.

Well, I did some negotiating and pulled the trigger. 38k mile 2000 LX470. This thing is like brand new. Not even any rock chips on front end and the inside of the mud flaps/wheel wells look new. All records from new. Interior is darn near perfect and still smells new. Drives perfectly. Everything works as it should and all maintenance up to date. Really happy with it and will baby it. No mud. Ha. Thanks for entertaining my post.

Well, I did some negotiating and pulled the trigger. 38k mile 2000 LX470. This thing is like brand new. Not even any rock chips on front end and the inside of the mud flaps/wheel wells look new. All records from new. Interior is darn near perfect and still smells new. Drives perfectly. Everything works as it should and all maintenance up to date. Really happy with it and will baby it. No mud. Ha. Thanks for entertaining my post.
What’s the point of this kind of truck if you don’t intend to offroad it at all?

Bravo, bravo8! Enjoy your sweet ride!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom