Champion Cooling Radiator + Forum Sellers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone run a jegs radiator in their 62? It's almost to good to be true price wise ($180 2 row?). But everything looks like it'll work just fine.

Additionally, what are the vendor options through the forum price wise? Money is tight but I would prefer a new radiator over a used one.

Thanks!

Right, they have a 3 core they sell which since it's aluminum should be comparable to a 4 core brass/copper which is in there now?

Right, they have a 3 core they sell which since it's aluminum should be comparable to a 4 core brass/copper which is in there now?

I have a champion 2 or 3 row from ebay. It DOES NOT have provisions for the stock trans cooler for an FJ62, but it works just fine in traffic in Memphis during the summer with the A/C on. About 3 or 4 years going now. I have a plate aux trans cooler in front of it that seems to be adequate.

1363A715-1272-475F-B39A-7F3A1FA513AF.jpeg

I purchased this Champion for my build.

Apologies, but I'm a total newbie, could you elaborate on that a bit more? Do you mean the mounting holes on the rad do not align with the stock trans cooler? If so, they could probably be drilled out?

Apologies, but I'm a total newbie, could you elaborate on that a bit more? Do you mean the mounting holes on the rad do not align with the stock trans cooler? If so, they could probably be drilled out?
It was a direct replacement. The mounting holes lined up exactly on my FJ60. Make sure and run a ground strap from one of the mounting bolts to the frame. I ran one on each side. Use distilled water if you mix with concentrated coolant or just buy the premix 50/50 coolant.

On the FJ62 radiator, there are provisions for two transmission lines to attach at the bottom of the radiator. The lower tank is partitioned to allow the trans fluid to exchange heat with the coolant/radiator and act to cool the transmission fluid without the two fluids mixing. On my Champion radiator, there are no provisions to attach these two hoses. No holes, no divided tank, nada even though it was advertised as being a replacement for a 1988 Land Cruiser.

Hmm, interesting. I put in a used OEM radiator last summer (which is now the one which needs to be replaced) and there were no trans cooler lines into the radiator. It was all pretty straight forward. I have an 88 as well.

On the FJ62 radiator, there are provisions for two transmission lines to attach at the bottom of the radiator. The lower tank is partitioned to allow the trans fluid to exchange heat with the coolant/radiator and act to cool the transmission fluid without the two fluids mixing. On my Champion radiator, there are no provisions to attach these two hoses. No holes, no divided tank, nada even though it was advertised as being a replacement for a 1988 Land Cruiser.
I also am using a Champion 3-Row. You will need to add an external transmission cooler. It is a direct replacement in that it bolts up to the factory mounts. but the trans cooler is not apart of the radiator.

Hmm, interesting. I put in a used OEM radiator last summer (which is now the one which needs to be replaced) and there were no trans cooler lines into the radiator. It was all pretty straight forward. I have an 88 as well.

You may have had an early FJ60 OEM radiator without the trans cooler lines. That would be normal, before the FJ62 came out.

Ugh, I'm such an idiot. Thanks everyone for pointing out the trans cooler lines, I just totally forgot about them until I was ready to put the new one in (d'oh!). I returned the Champion radiator and got a Mishimoto instead.

Save that OEM radiator. If it's an orginal OEM... You may actually be better off taking it to a radiator guru in your area to have them re-core it. I'm currently in the middle of a warranty swap with my brand new CSF 2708. It sprung a hole. When I took this new RAD to a radiator shop to have it pressure tested (I'm chasing a leak) the first thing he said to me was "do you have the original? no.... That's to bad"

yeah I actually have 2, but haven't had the time to get them checked out. If I can get them cleaned and fixed up I expect to sell one or both

I bought my Champion Radiator from Jegs. Part number: CC1213. Best price I could find (with an offer they had), and a trusted seller. FJ60 here, so don’t have to worry about a trans cooler. Radiator has been doing very well. I saved my OEM in the Champion’s box for a rainy day.

Any idea what I could get for a refurbished OEM radiator?
I’ve thought about that and I honestly don’t think you’d get more than what a proper rebuild costs. Maybe in 20 years when these are worth more money and people want period correct restorations? Who knows

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom