chalky? steering wheel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
73 fj40 steering wheel.bought wheel from bone yard and best way to describe is chalk like been out exposed to sun for years. Any ideas to paint, wax or re- surface so more usable.

Thanks for reply.looked at photos and it almost looks like normal plastic type resin "body work" then , again, normal type sand prime and paint. Assume just being done with plastic type paint and primer- if there is any other input it would be appreciated.- if not I'm going to try with material I have in shop

Super cleaning and scuffing and plastic paint should do the trick. POR is now just selling other stuff with their name on it and not any better then what you get at lowes. Eastwood also has very good steering wheel kits that have been around a long time. If you google you will find much cheaper and better options PC-7 seems to be the most used product to repair these. But that is for cracks etc, if your wheel is just chalky you can paint it. I have never tried it, but those cloth buffing wheel with a plastic polishing compound might do the trick to remove the chalky layer and put a shine on it that would not have the potential to peel off.

exactly what i was thinking - gunna do it the less $ way - sand prime, paint with plastic primer and paint - you can get plastic primer and paint at walmart - see what happens - not going for show truck - just want nice look and no chalk on hands - thinking $10 plus hour of work

Follow up - sanded with 220 grit, wiped with alcohol and painted with walmart plastic spray paint - looks and feels great - wheel was already off truck so 1 hour and $6 - cant beat that

My steering was the same way--looked and felt chalky. It also had major cracks. I followed this:
TheSamba.com :: View topic - 72 Ghia Vert Restoration Update
And it turned out great!
steeringwheel.jpg
steeringwheel.jpg

Another thing you can try first, is Stoner's "Trim Shine". Does an incredible job on rubber and plastic. If the wheel has no damage or cracking other than the chalking, I would suggest that first. Otherwise, the Samba/PC7 idea sounds excellent.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom