chainsaw gas octane ??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Weedhopper

Rust Patrol
SILVER Star
Threads
My Husky 41 survived 13 years of hard use here at the house, and finally died.

I was looking at new Stihl saws and the sales rep told me that I should use high octane gas. Is this true ? I have always used regular. He said it's the ethanol and premium is better for the engine.

What say Mr. Stihl ?

Kinda sorta, ethanol has issues with 2stoke fuel in the presence of moisture but premium usually has the same ethanol as regular, many recommend higher octane for chainsaws not because of ethanol but because of preignition.

more reading

http://www.forestnet.com/TWissues/August08/chainsaw.pdf

My Stihl dealer said to use Avgas because he hates what pump gas is doing to small engines that he fixes. On another note, the same Stihl dealer stopped carrying Stihl saws because I guess they're plastic crankcase (600 hrs) vs steel (1200 hrs)?? Yup, he is a bit of a chain saw fanatic I guess!

Be aware that 100LL (Avgas) has a lot of lead in it much more than old leaded gas and you are right on top of it breathing it in, if any of your 2 stoke equipment has a catalytic converter in the muffler the lead will destroy it and eventually plug,

Those issues aside avgas is wonderful fuel, very high quality and purity per federal regulations,

I have been running marine fuel in my 2 strokes, one of them has a cat and i don't like the lead exposure, i tested and it is ethanol free, but it is just 87 octane, I have been looking for 94 no lead no ethanol but have not yet found a good solution.

On another note, the same Stihl dealer stopped carrying Stihl saws because I guess they're plastic crankcase (600 hrs) vs steel (1200 hrs)?? Yup, he is a bit of a chain saw fanatic I guess!

sure that was not husqvarna? they went to plastic crank cases on their entry level saws, I was not aware of Stihl doing the same?

We found a no ethanol gas station near our lake house, and always bring back a 5 gal can full of no ethanol regular for the chainsaws, blower and weedeater.

From what I understand, ethanol in fuel is particularly rough on 2 stroke engines and any engine in a marine environment.

sure that was not husqvarna? they went to plastic crank cases on their entry level saws, I was not aware of Stihl doing the same?

Yup, that's Stihl as evidenced by a display model on his counter.

We found a no ethanol gas station near our lake house, and always bring back a 5 gal can full of no ethanol regular for the chainsaws, blower and weedeater.

From what I understand, ethanol in fuel is particularly rough on 2 stroke engines and any engine in a marine environment.

Yes. Look around, we finally found that our local Cenex Co-op carries non-ethanol premium. It's the only place for 30 miles. :D

SOunds like you dealer was canceled as a dealer for lack of knowledge.

Ask him which current or previous models of STIHL have a plastice crankcase?

My Stihl dealer said to use Avgas because he hates what pump gas is doing to small engines that he fixes. On another note, the same Stihl dealer stopped carrying Stihl saws because I guess they're plastic crankcase (600 hrs) vs steel (1200 hrs)?? Yup, he is a bit of a chain saw fanatic I guess!

The answer is 0. :D

LOL

Get a picture of it and post it.

Not a bad idea...i'll have to do a phone camera action the next time I'm in the area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom