Chains reco? LC 200 BFG All Terrains (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can someone recommend brand and model of chains for my LC? Planning to pull travel trailer On I90 from Seattle to Chicago in Nov. Our 2018 LC 200 has
BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A
LT275/70R18 125/122R
Load Range E
Manual says no chains for front tires.
Travel trailer and LC weigh 13380lb at Scale.
1603251967764.png

All I can add is that the manual is correct on no chains on the front. There is very very little room between the sidewall and the upper control arm, plus with your taller 275/70 tires I bet they would be an issue on the rear of the mud flap too when turning. My 285/65 tires were slightly smaller diameter and came very close to said mud flaps.

Living in Colorado, if I have to chain up the LC, I'm not going. Its rarely that bad. My advice is to wait out the storm if you find yourself in that position. Needing that much traction on your drive wheels while towing that much weight is a terrible idea. I see wadded up RVs all the time on I70, even during the summer months.

Last edited:
Here is what I bought. I am running LT285/70R17 E Load KO2s. I‘ve tested them and they fit, but have never had to use them. I only carry them as sometimes there are chain requirements in PNW They are rated for use by emergency responders, so they would be the ones I’d use if I have a need.

Security Chain Company Z-583 Z-Chain Extreme Performance Cable Tire Traction Chain - Set of 2

I’m planning on switching to winter tires before my November trip to pick up our trailer (OH==>CO).

Second the “If I need chains, no way I’d be towing... I’d wait it out”.

But MTs on potentially icy/snowy roads, towing, is just begging for bent metal.

Here’s my experience with BFG AT’s in winter: in the 1st 10K miles, ok on snow, treacherous in ice. After 10K miles, treacherous in both snow and ice.

I’m planning on switching to winter tires before my November trip to pick up our trailer (OH==>CO).

Second the “If I need chains, no way I’d be towing... I’d wait it out”.

But MTs on potentially icy/snowy roads, towing, is just begging for bent metal.

Here’s my experience with BFG AT’s in winter: in the 1st 10K miles, ok on snow, treacherous in ice. After 10K miles, treacherous in both snow and ice.
Absolutely my experience with the BFG ATs and MTs as well.

I have the Z583 chains, $45 off ebay. We're taking a trip to Death Valley around Christmas so we'll be passing through CO. I used to run these on my old 3rd gen 4Runner up and down the (little) mountain we lived on in VA. They're fine, just a bit of a pain to install, and require you to tighten after driving just a little (but not too tight - they are supposed to slip around the wheel when moving).

The Super Z6/Z8 chains are better if you're planning to need them more than once or twice - the 5 star bungee is much easier to tension.

Get a set for your trailer as well. If chain laws are in effect I believe it's required that you run a set on your trailer rear axle. I got a new set for $30 off ebay.

All that said try to avoid the need if at all possible, especially towing. Be willing to wait it out for a day if there's heavy, blinding snow. For us going Chicago->Death Valley if the weather is bad I'll take the (much) longer southern route through OK/NM/AZ, but coming from Seattle you're pretty much going to have to navigate the rockies and potential snow/ice at some point.

Here is what I bought. I am running LT285/70R17 E Load KO2s. I‘ve tested them and they fit, but have never had to use them. I only carry them as sometimes there are chain requirements in PNW They are rated for use by emergency responders, so they would be the ones I’d use if I have a need.

Security Chain Company Z-583 Z-Chain Extreme Performance Cable Tire Traction Chain - Set of 2

Thanks for the reco - just bought a pair :)

Honestly i would not pull any trailer where i need chains on the tow vehicle. You should be just fine on I90 if you are patient for any closures.
Hi... thank you all for the info, it has been tremendously helpful. One comment in particular has me going this afternoon to replace my tires. The All Terrains only good for in snow for first 10k miles, concerned me, plus traveling on wet mountain roads with 7k lb travel trailer. So I found the following tires to swap in during the winter and heavy rain period:
Winter Cat (Cooper), SST
275/70 R18 E 10ply, 125 load index/speed rating R
$270 each.
Note: the mfg original size is 285/60R18

Questions:
Are these a good choice for winter/wet driving with and without trailer during winter?
Then swap back to my BFG next summer?
Do most just have tire store swap onto same rim or buy another set of rims (aargh)?

Hi... thank you all for the info, it has been tremendously helpful. One comment in particular has me going this afternoon to replace my tires. The All Terrains only good for in snow for first 10k miles, concerned me, plus traveling on wet mountain roads with 7k lb travel trailer. So I found the following tires to swap in during the winter and heavy rain period:
Winter Cat (Cooper), SST
275/70 R18 E 10ply, 125 load index/speed rating R
$270 each.
Note: the mfg original size is 285/60R18

Questions:
Are these a good choice for winter/wet driving with and without trailer during winter?
Then swap back to my BFG next summer?
Do most just have tire store swap onto same rim or buy another set of rims (aargh)?

I'm having a hard time finding those tires anywhere, but Cooper does list a Discoverer Snow Claw winter tire with the following specs (Link to Discoverer Snow Claw: Cooper Discoverer Snow Claw):

LT275/70R18 - Size125\122R - Load Index/Speed RatingE - Load RangeBLK7 - 8.5811.133.35- Diameter54 - Weight(lbs)364016

I believe the tire you are asking about is this tire marketed by third parties (e.g. Dean Tire) under the Wintercat brand label.

I have misgivings about the "off branding" of the tire you mention, but even more I have concerns about the size.

The tire you are asking about has a diameter spec. of 33.35 inches - larger in diameter than any tire Toyota recommends, and probably would result in clearance issues (i.e. rubbing) when mounted on your LC200. It will also reduce your towing "power" - in short, it is too big.

I would look for a tire from a recognized name brand manufacturer in a size more appropriate to your use case - my preference would be for a 285/60R18 XL, P285/60R18 or LT285/60R18 tire.

HTH

Edit to add:

I just re-read your OP and find that you are currently running LT275/70R18 BFG KO2 tires. Do you have any clearance/rubbing issues with them? If not, then you could stick with the same size for your winter tires.

And yes, I would recommend new wheels (and TPMS sensors) for the new tires since you are planning to run two sets of tires - one set for winter and the other all other times.

Last edited:
I'm having a hard time finding those tires anywhere, but Cooper does list a Discoverer Snow Claw winter tire with the following specs (Link to Discoverer Snow Claw: Cooper Discoverer Snow Claw):

LT275/70R18 - Size125\122R - Load Index/Speed RatingE - Load RangeBLK7 - 8.5811.133.35- Diameter54 - Weight(lbs)364016

I believe the tire you are asking about is this tire marketed by third parties (e.g. Dean Tire) under the Wintercat brand label.

I have misgivings about the "off branding" of the tire you mention, but even more I have concerns about the size.

The tire you are asking about has a diameter spec. of 33.35 inches - larger in diameter than any tire Toyota recommends, and probably would result in clearance issues (i.e. rubbing) when mounted on your LC200. It will also reduce your towing "power" - in short, it is too big.

I would look for a tire from a recognized name brand manufacturer in a size more appropriate to your use case - my preference would be for a 285/60R18 XL, P285/60R18 or LT285/60R18 tire.

HTH

Edit to add:

I just re-read your OP and find that you are currently running LT275/70R18 BFG KO2 tires. Do you have any clearance/rubbing issues with them? If not, then you could stick with the same size for your winter tires.

And yes, I would recommend new wheels (and TPMS sensors) for the new tires since you are planning to run two sets of tires - one set for winter and the other all other times.
Very much appreciate the info and time to share it. No issues with rubbing, even when off-roading. Parts guy at Toyota dealer evaluated the size difference and recommended to proceed. Thanks

Yeah you don't need chains. I drive from Bozeman to Livingston everyday over the Bozeman pass(9 years) in a toyota camry or a honda civic. Never have needed chains. All you need is good tires. If chains are required, wait a few hours till the plows clear and put down sand. I did it yesterday and the roads were NASTY, but their was no way in hell I was getting stuck in Livingston.

KO2's are severe snow rated and have the snow flake on the sidewall if you worried about the pass.
use to live in sammamish...

I was under the impression that everyone hated the way they handle in snow 🤷🏻‍♂️

FYI: Some KO2's do not have the snowflake. Mine don't. Have to double-check if that's important to you.

This ^^^^. I absolutely love my KO2s but in the ice or hardpack, they're death. If you have to drive in icy conditions, Hakka's are THE best. Need to switch my KO2s now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom