Chains or cables and why (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking to pick up a set of chains or cables for 35” KM3’s. I was curious what you guys use under what conditions and why?

I have a snow wheeling trip next month but I’d also like something for highway use when required by law. Is it best to have two types for different purposes?

Hopefully you guys could recommend something, preferably not made in China.

I purchased cables due to highway use. 35mph is where I draw the line. Chains are ok too.

Looking to pick up a set of chains or cables for 35” KM3’s. I was curious what you guys use under what conditions and why?

I have a snow wheeling trip next month but I’d also like something for highway use when required by law. Is it best to have two types for different purposes?

Hopefully you guys could recommend something, preferably not made in China.

Do they make cable chains big enough for 35s?

My concern would the effectiveness of cables on such a heavy rig, I would run chains over cables.

I did find these online Snow Chains and snow chains are about $90-$100 cheaper.

Cables are nice for oversized tires, to keep weight down. However, a drawback is how little they dig off-road. Plus, they're going to be expensive.

Chains dig better for off-road, but, are going to be heavier.

I would recommend chains, since you only need to carry them when on pavement in chain restriction areas. With 35s and AWD, I doubt you'd even use them. If you do need to use them on paved roads, I think the next consideration is, should you be driving in it? You may be a great driver, but not everyone else is. No one wants to see another wrecked 80 series.

Chains!!!!

1639447332552.png

Vbar reinforced tire chains. I was a chain monkey for a few weeks on Donner Pass in highschool. Hard work, cold hands, lots of cash. These cross links rarely broke. Cables are junk no matter the vehicle.

View attachment 2864611
Vbar reinforced tire chains. I was a chain monkey for a few weeks on Donner Pass in highschool. Hard work, cold hands, lots of cash. These cross links rarely broke. Cables are junk no matter the vehicle.
Those are illegal in some states they are Ice breakers and the best chains

Those... they also manufacture chains for heavy mining equipment so it's tough as all hell.

TPC-Hero-2-scaled.jpg

I've a set for both ends of the cruiser.

Many years ago I bought a set of 4 chains from the Kalispell, MT, Tractor Supply. They were for 35’s and had a added cross or “X” pattern added to the chain. Not as aggressive as the Vbar chains, but they grabbed snowy/icy roads well. I bought extra rubber straps with hooks to help get a tight install. Never threw a chain off. The extra grip from the X pattern didn’t let the tires spin much. Doesn’t look like the Tractor Supply website has the same chains, but calling a cold weather store, like Kalispell, directly might be worth the effort?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom