Chains for our trucks 285/50R20 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have not run chains on our 200 yet, but have on the tundra, 80, and the 100 series. One thing that all had in common is that typically we are maxing out the tire size for off road. This typically leaves little room to spare for the chains especially the tag end that flops around a little.

I ended up wearing out some of the inner plastic liner on the tundra before I stepped down a few tire sizes I know have more room for the chains.

Our driveway is up a mountain for a mile. We typically will chain up the 80 and run that at least twice a day for ten to twenty days a year in Virginia. I’ve done it a five or so times in 100 and probably 25 in the tundra.

I’d go chains over cables everyday and twice on Sunday in my opinion.

FYI from the reviews... (I looked at those today)

View attachment 3198849

Not surprised. I just picture a car off the side of the road spinning wheels with this desperately trying to get out. I'm sure for anyone that really needs chains for regular use, this is not it.

Though not "chains" you should add snow socks to your otherwise fine review.
Socks are a valid device used even by the big semi-trucks on interstate. They come a very long way.
Good socks are about the same price as chains (not talking about the single-use socks here), and they do take space like the cables.
I'm looking for something that will last many years even when used (abused) on less-than-ideal conditions like gravel roads that will damage the socks. I know I said no forest roads but if I get chains then forest roads will be fair game to get me closer to exploring some ski touring spots. I guess what I'm saying is that socks have much narrower use than chain/cables. For highway use they're legitimate devices provided you get the quality ones.

Security Chain Company ZT751 Super Z LT Light Truck and SUV Tire Traction Chain
Amazon product ASIN B001DKV960
They come with the rubber tensioners. Spare tensioner is SZ1176. They are very similar to Super Z6 SZ451, but the overall built is stronger from cables to plates. Plates that join the cables are much stronger. The disadvantage is that the plates are bulkier so less clearance. The hookups are the classic style, easier to do.
As with SZ451 they do not fit the front wheels due to clearance with suspension - the inner cable (going around the wheel) rubbing on vertical arm (from spindle to the UCA). There is also very little space between the Y plates and the vertical arm especially at the cable joint.
1676451580680.png

Front fit, front max steering angle:
1676451607146.png

Front fit, rear max steering angle:
1676451629895.png

LCA clearance:
1676451665230.png

Spindle clearance for cable - cable is rubbing on the vertical arm:
1676452056559.png

Last edited:
... more fitting info for Security Chain Company ZT751 Super Z LT Light Truck and SUV Tire Traction Chain

UCA clearance at max steering angle (FR wheel, full lock to the left):
1676452556993.png

UCA clearance:
1676452741783.png

Spindle clearance for Y plate at cable joint - small:
1676453112366.png

1676453284324.png

Last edited:
Have searched the forums and haven’t necessarily found an answer to my intrusive thoughts, er technical questions, about tire chains and my specific configuration.

This seems to be the more recent 200-series tire chain thread which I could find.

I currently have LT285/70R17 KO2’s for summer and for winter I’ve fitted 275/65R18 Blizzaks on the factory wheels.

Been poring over Peerless chains and their fitment charts. Was hoping that the Z8 chains could be made to fit the winter tires, but they seem to stop at my 285 sizing (albeit w/o the LT notation) and my winter sizing would require the Z6’s. I envision swapping to the winters in the coming days and I’ll swap back to summer setup in April, though should the ski-gods be willing, I’ll be skiing through the end of May.

I’d love a single set of chains for both setups, but for that, I’m wondering if the SZ462 Super Z-8 chains could be made to fit the 275/65r18 configuration with maybe a different tensioner.

Other option would seem to be either but 2 sets to have on hand “just in case” or to go the 0232805 autotrac route, which would cover both sizes but the auto-tension system maybe gets the odd poor review.

Anyone have any ideas here? I am in the PNW, primarily winter drive between Portland and Hood, maybe occasionally to Bachelor or into WA. I also only plan to have these for emergency use and will only put them on the back tires.

Maybe another thought, can the Z-583 be used with a tensioner to make it so you don’t have to bother with rolling forward and then checking the tightness? How much of a problem is that, really, for the 583 model?

I have Z-583 and have test fit them in the snow with KO2’s (LT285-70R17). Tension is not really an issue for casual use, just follow the directions. I would not recommend for extended use over many miles, but that is how I feel about any cable chain, even those with tensioner. I keep them in the truck for emergencies only along with traction boards and a shovel. FWIW, in nearly 50 years of skiing on Hood and Bachelor, I have never put on chains especially if I am running an actual winter tire such as Blizzaks. I feel that chains combined with an actual winter tire is more of a hindrance than help. Just one mans opinion of course.

I have Z-583 and have test fit them in the snow with KO2’s (LT285-70R17). Tension is not really an issue for casual use, just follow the directions. I would not recommend for extended use over many miles, but that is how I feel about any cable chain, even those with tensioner. I keep them in the truck for emergencies only along with traction boards and a shovel. FWIW, in nearly 50 years of skiing on Hood and Bachelor, I have never put on chains especially if I am running an actual winter tire such as Blizzaks. I feel that chains combined with an actual winter tire is more of a hindrance than help. Just one mans opinion of course.
Thanks @MikeVpdx503! I have a sticky note here with your handle writ on it next to the 583 chains, from when I was reading through the forums for chains a few weeks back. I’m in the same boat that I want them for emergency use.

Coming from a Subie with X-ice tires, the thing was bomb-proof on Hood. Reading here, seems the 200 on winters is going to be the same.

My reality is, I hope to never need the chains, but I want to have them in case. I also want them to cover both tire sizes because there is some gap in late season when I’ll be on the AT tires.

Have searched the forums and haven’t necessarily found an answer to my intrusive thoughts, er technical questions, about tire chains and my specific configuration.

This seems to be the more recent 200-series tire chain thread which I could find.

I currently have LT285/70R17 KO2’s for summer and for winter I’ve fitted 275/65R18 Blizzaks on the factory wheels.

Been poring over Peerless chains and their fitment charts. Was hoping that the Z8 chains could be made to fit the winter tires, but they seem to stop at my 285 sizing (albeit w/o the LT notation) and my winter sizing would require the Z6’s. I envision swapping to the winters in the coming days and I’ll swap back to summer setup in April, though should the ski-gods be willing, I’ll be skiing through the end of May.

I’d love a single set of chains for both setups, but for that, I’m wondering if the SZ462 Super Z-8 chains could be made to fit the 275/65r18 configuration with maybe a different tensioner.

Other option would seem to be either but 2 sets to have on hand “just in case” or to go the 0232805 autotrac route, which would cover both sizes but the auto-tension system maybe gets the odd poor review.

Anyone have any ideas here? I am in the PNW, primarily winter drive between Portland and Hood, maybe occasionally to Bachelor or into WA. I also only plan to have these for emergency use and will only put them on the back tires.

Maybe another thought, can the Z-583 be used with a tensioner to make it so you don’t have to bother with rolling forward and then checking the tightness? How much of a problem is that, really, for the 583 model?
I don’t see why any cable chain wouldn’t fit in the rear on your 33” tires. Full compression would be the only concern but I run 35s without chains and I clear the fenders, which means 33s with cable chains that require up to 1” of clearance should fit your setup.

Btw I’m on +25 offset wheels, so my tires sit closer to the fender, but on higher offset (OEM or RW wheels) and that would be less of an issue, and there’s plenty of space inboard towards the frame.

Now the fronts would be a whole different story and I think you’d struggle to run them without contacting the fender or suspension components

Peerless 0232805 Auto-Trac Light Truck
Amazon product ASIN B0091RCM5Y
This is a lightweight chain even compared to the other chains listed here, so you can say it is a very light chain. The slack control system is clever, but I do not trust it being made of plastic. It also not working quite well on my size tires and the chains overall are a bit large for my tires. The plastic tighteners are loose around the wheel and can possibly scratch the wheel. They are not listed compatible for my size, but I just had to try it.
View attachment 3198078View attachment 3198079View attachment 3198080
This chain snapped on me in Yosemite and left us stranded. The red chain broke where it connects to the green hook. May have been user error or bad fit, but that was very disappointing. Very easy to install indeed.

I got flamed once before on suggesting the Zip tie style version of chains (search this on Amazon Adjustable Snow Tire Zip Plastic). I have a set in my old T100 and in my LC. While I have never had to use them they are easy to put on and take off, I practiced so I would know how to do it. I consider them emergency usage only. If I had to have chains for daily use I would not have these. However for the I got stuck in snow storm on vacation in my mind they will do the job and probably not destroy anything on my vehicle in their usage. If I act like an idiot that may not hold true.

I got flamed once before on suggesting the Zip tie style version of chains (search this on Amazon Adjustable Snow Tire Zip Plastic). I have a set in my old T100 and in my LC. While I have never had to use them they are easy to put on and take off, I practiced so I would know how to do it. I consider them emergency usage only. If I had to have chains for daily use I would not have these. However for the I got stuck in snow storm on vacation in my mind they will do the job and probably not destroy anything on my vehicle in their usage. If I act like an idiot that may not hold true.
IF they clear the brakes (definitely wouldn’t have with my old rock warriors and later model brakes) they’ll do damage to the wheel surface.. but that may be better than the alternative.

They will definitely damage your paint.
And I personally do not see how they will be good. If they do not grip, then they will not break. If they do grip, they will be broken in no time due to the big dynamic load the truck puts on one of them. But if they do not grip what's the point of using them.
If you want to have something in your trunk as a backup, get some high-quality socks. They are not cheap and if they are good for semi, they should be good for your truck. Just don't plan on using them regularly on the road or at all off road as they wear out much faster than cables.

Can anyone recommend chains for 35x12.5x17 tires? Heading to Big Bear, CA next month and I’m told I need to have them on me or else they won’t let me pass. Any recommendations that won’t break the bank (or my fenders)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom