Centre console options for RHD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
got a factory centre console in my 80. It's a DX pre-8/92 so doesn't have a rear mount but I've rigged one up using some bracketes and an additional factory bracing piece inside the console itself.

had the factory centre console in for quite a few years but wonder about options. Don't need/want a 'fridge' console or one that's akin to a gun safe. Just something rugged like the vehicle itself. The factory plastic centre console isn't rugged.

I see places in the US make a few different aftermarket styles inc. some Mud vendors but how suitable are they for RHD?

Factory centre console fits well between bucket seats on both sides but the drink holder cup is really annoying. Not that I'm normally having a drink in a cup.

The lid of the factory console is very funky too and of course has a 'plastic' hinge.

I also found the factory centre console kind of useless. In my case though, when my fourth child was on the way, I sourced and fitted a factory front bench seat to make mine a six seater. Not sure what I would have done to the centre console if that hadn't been required. I'm interested in what other people do here too, in case I ever want to ditch the front bench seat.

I also found the factory centre console kind of useless. In my case though, when my fourth child was on the way, I sourced and fitted a factory front bench seat to make mine a six seater. Not sure what I would have done to the centre console if that hadn't been required. I'm interested in what other people do here too, in case I ever want to ditch the front bench seat.
Ditching the front bench seat was one of the first things I did with my 80. Different requirements.

Not sure if I've shown any detail of my existing modified factory centre console but here is the underside of it currently, and I've also shown the floor 'footprint' including where the custom rear bracket goes (since it's a DX pre-8/92 without the rear-mounted bracket on the floor).

The shinier of the two 'factory' brackets that my custom rear bracket setup bolts too is for a LHD version of the console. :cool:

The front attachment point is easy to spot (the captive M8 nut), as is the attachment point for the custom rear bracket. It bolts to one of the spots formerly used for the middle seatbelt of the front bench seat that's long gone.

@sunrk look into @Delta VS they make center consoles for the 80 as well as the shifter console too. The shifter consoles are available in a RHD configuration.

Delta VS center console

Delta VS manual shifter console

Delta VS automatic shifter console
The Delta centre console is really nice. I wonder if it's suitable for RHD 80's? As my 80 does *not* have a factory provided rear mount for a centre console I'm sure I could fab something just like I've done to secure the rear of the factory centre console (see the pics).

I don't have any 'console' around the manual shifter or transfer selector and prefer to keep it that way given the amount of heat that comes up. Part of the reason I did the whole front floorpan area with Resomat a few yrs ago was to partly address that plus reduce the overall nvh.

The Delta centre console is really nice. I wonder if it's suitable for RHD 80's? As my 80 does *not* have a factory provided rear mount for a centre console I'm sure I could fab something just like I've done to secure the rear of the factory centre console (see the pics).

I don't have any 'console' around the manual shifter or transfer selector and prefer to keep it that way given the amount of heat that comes up. Part of the reason I did the whole front floorpan area with Resomat a few yrs ago was to partly address that plus reduce the overall nvh.
They have been installed in a number of RHD vehicles. The biggest thing will be getting your mounting figured out, but plenty have done that, either DIY solution or getting the OEM support piece from a rig with factory center console (junkyard, etc) and welding in place.

Easy, go Delta VS

Supposed to work in both LHD and RHD

20220222_163823.jpg

20220222_163955.jpg

20220222_164058.jpg

the factory centre console is ok but the ridiculous 'hinge' for the lid is a bit poor. As my 80 didn't have a console ex-factory (it's a pre-8/92 so never had the back mount on the floor, and originally had a 3/4 bench seat for front pass position) just having one is an improvement, but it's still a bit shonky.

As I made my own way to secure the rear of the console it shouldn't be an issue to do the same to an aftermarket one. I don't need/want a 'fridge' centre console, or one that serves as a gun safe. Just something rugged like the rest of the vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom