Central Texas - Who to use (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NO DO NOT go to Wimberley, they will rape you up the @$$! they charged the PO of my 40 $6000 to rebuilt the motor and it only lasted about 25,000 miles. i would stay away!

The first time you posted this? I think back in 04 or 05?? Anyway I contacted you and you filled me in on the problem..(.Wrist pin worked its way out and scored the cyl. wall)..correct? Anyway I passed it along to Daniel..he was totally unaware of any problems associated with that cruiser, but he did remember the PO that lives in Austin and no knowledge of them selling it.Went through old files and found recieps that City Motors Machine Shop in San Antonio had built the long block.. all in all if someone would had come forth some recourse could have been taken...but still even back at the time of failure a long period had lapsed

Did some business with Wimberly. Pretty good guys, been at it a long time, lots of cruisers in the yard and shop. BUT their prices are absolutely rediculous IMO. They had some pretty rusted out and totally bondoed cruisers in the 10k range and the one "restored" one I saw they wanted 22k for, hardly worth that maybe 12k or so :rolleyes:.

The only other thing to say bout them is that after having dealt with them some in the past I called down and talked to Dan who told me to come down on a saturday, so I make the 1 1/2 hour drive down from Killeen and dan's not around. His brother is weedeating in the yard so I go up to him and he commences to drop the F bomb at me along with every other word he knew because they supposedly weren't open for business. Well after a few minutes he calms down and lets me in. Apparently he doesn't like all the yuppies that have no clue and stop by on their days off asking about all the Heeps in the yard. Friggin anger management issues right there man. Look out. :eek:

Good guys altogether though. ;)

I discovered and went by Wimberley Four Wheel Drive in New Braunfels today and met the owner, Daniel Edone. I found him very friendly and helpful. Showed me around his yard full of old LCs used for parts. I bought a tailgate in very good condition for a reasonable price. He's shop was clean, well-equipped
and with some nice-looking FJ40s they were working on. They only work on Land Cruisers and will do just about any modification. As a specialty shop with a limited market to service, I would not be surprised if they have to charge more to stay in business. Anyone can fix a Corolla for a few bucks quickly
because of the high volume on the road.

As for what I saw in the shop, they are doing some very clean installations on Vintage A/C systems, they are building front and rear bumpers ready to accept a winch, re-assembling cruisers after having gone through the paint booth, sandblasting and powder coating frames (off-site), installing H55 (5-spd) transmissions with modifications, etc. You will spend a nickel with these upgrades anywhere you go, mind you. I left the place with a very good vibe about Daniel, the guy knows his stuff and treated me very well.

Ricardo

Done buisness with Wimberley 4WD a few times, they've always been reasonable and helpful in my case. They don't do rebuilds anymore, only new (remanufactured?) 2Fs.

I live in Central Austin and I have been taking my 40 to bearden automotive 512-336-7010). They know Toyota's and they charge reasonable prices. I am taking Big Red in this Monday for a new clutch and to have an oil leak fixed.

I called Edwin back in late April. He is working on 40's but only as a hobby, not a full-time gig.

I've used Wimberly several times over almost 10 years. Treated me fairly every time. Good experience.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom