1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Centered Rear Diff for FJ40

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by CGarFJ40, Dec 16, 2003.

1. CGarFJ40

CGarFJ40

Any information regarding Ford 9 inches for a FJ40 needed. I was told that Bronco II's came with a Ford 9 inch that fit into the Landcruiser, if so which year? Any information would be greatly appreciated. ;)

2. hammerhead

hammerhead

You could get a Toyota mini-truck rear end and cross breed it with the stock FJ40 rear end. Then you would have the centered rear diff you want, plus a better parking brake system, all with Genuine Toyota parts. It would also enable you to use the four spider front ARB because you wouldn't have c-clips to deal with.

3. kstatecruiser

kstatecruiser

The earlier Broncos came with 9 inchers. I don't think the Bronco II's came with a 9-inch. I think it was a precursor to the Explorer axles. Also Currie sells a 9-inch that is shortened for Heeps. Not for sure on the width though.

4. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    77-older Broncos have the 9"...I think all the way back to '66

IMO, swapping in a Toyota minitruck rear axle is about as easy as it gets....6-bolt pattern, Toy parts, E-brake included, comparable (same??) width...

5. dinkleberry

dinkleberry

Ford 9"s are definetly beefy, but with the low pinion are better for a drag car.

My $.02.