Centered Rear Diff for FJ40

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by CGarFJ40, Dec 16, 2003.

1. CGarFJ40

CGarFJ40

Any information regarding Ford 9 inches for a FJ40 needed. I was told that Bronco II's came with a Ford 9 inch that fit into the Landcruiser, if so which year? Any information would be greatly appreciated. ;)

2. hammerhead

hammerhead

You could get a Toyota mini-truck rear end and cross breed it with the stock FJ40 rear end. Then you would have the centered rear diff you want, plus a better parking brake system, all with Genuine Toyota parts. It would also enable you to use the four spider front ARB because you wouldn't have c-clips to deal with.

3. kstatecruiser

kstatecruiser

The earlier Broncos came with 9 inchers. I don't think the Bronco II's came with a 9-inch. I think it was a precursor to the Explorer axles. Also Currie sells a 9-inch that is shortened for Heeps. Not for sure on the width though.

4. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    77-older Broncos have the 9"...I think all the way back to '66

IMO, swapping in a Toyota minitruck rear axle is about as easy as it gets....6-bolt pattern, Toy parts, E-brake included, comparable (same??) width...

5. dinkleberry

dinkleberry

Ford 9"s are definetly beefy, but with the low pinion are better for a drag car.

My $.02.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.