Center wheel bore too small. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

crackdpot

2Cor4:7
Threads
Website
www.jonesdrafting.com
I have the original 15-in rims that I've had on Petunia, trying to keep things as original as I could. 15-in tires are becoming more and more difficult to find, so I decided to find some rims and upgrade to 16-in. Found some cool American racing aluminum rims that have the holes around the perimeter kind of like the originals. I did not factor in the fact that some wheels, unbeknownst to me have smaller diameter bore in the center. So my aluminum rims have a 3-in diameter center bore. The hubs on my FJ 60 however, have a four and a quarter inch center bore necessary. So my idea was maybe I could bore out the center to allow the hubs to fit. But that would mean removing 5/8 of an inch of aluminum between the center bore and the lug holes. I have no way of knowing whether after removing that material the structural integrity of my aluminum wheels will still be intact.

Anybody have any good input?

I put the cart before the horse and I already got my tires installed on those rims that I thought looked so cool...

Thanks in advance for the helpful replies!

16157534362715577643671750002849.jpg

what 15" tires are you having trouble finding?

Well, now that I've gotten the 16's.... :) ... I had Toyo M55's on her when I purchased. They do offer the tire in 15", but only in a "short" version (235 75 15).

Upgrading to 16's makes up to 285's available.

I did the same thing (except with 15s). I took them to a machine shop (Jantz Engineering in Poulsbo) & got the center bore hogged out. The wheels use mag style lug nuts, which to my knowledge make them lug centric.
I don't have anything for you with tacoma rim hub sleeves. I gave the 2 I had away.

I did the same thing (except with 15s). I took them to a machine shop (Jantz Engineering in Poulsbo) & got the center bore hogged out. The wheels use mag style lug nuts, which to my knowledge make them lug centric.
I don't have anything for you with tacoma rim hub sleeves. I gave the 2 I had away.
Aluminum? How much stock did you end up with between the center bore and the lug holes? Any problems?

I see you're in Chelan.
I'll be N ID resident soon. :bounce:

I was going to try & use my Stock LC Lug Nuts. I need to check for the 60 deg taper.
The wheels are indeed aluminum. I can't remember the exact amount, but it's at least an inch thick in that area. I'd double check the specs on the wheel to make sure they're lug centric vs hub centric and lug nut style/taper.

I have a coworker who lives in Albeni Falls and it sounds like an awesome area.

My guess is that they’re hub centric
+1

the rims you bought look great but they appear to be hub-centric. Your original wheels are lug centric. This means that the lug nut bores on your original rims are cone-shaped so the rim finds its centered home as you tighten those original acorn-shaped lug nuts. Your new rim appears to have straight-sided bores, so they don’t act to center the rim. That’s the hub’s job. Take away the hub bore, and there is nothing to ensure the rim is centered. It may be close, but you’ll feel it on the highway.

+1

the rims you bought look great but they appear to be hub-centric. Your original wheels are lug centric. This means that the lug nut bores on your original rims are cone-shaped so the rim finds its centered home as you tighten those original acorn-shaped lug nuts. Your new rim appears to have straight-sided bores, so they don’t act to center the rim. That’s the hub’s job. Take away the hub bore, and there is nothing to ensure the rim is centered. It may be close, but you’ll feel it on the highway.
Thank you. That makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom