Center support bearing assembly (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Godwin

Resident Herpetologist
SILVER Star
Threads
Need to replace the center support bearing assembly on a 2004 4WD Tacoma. I'm coming into this from Land Cruisers and had no idea that such a long d-shaft, and 2 piece at that, was used in the trucks. Any tips or tricks in replacing this driveshaft support?

Did the rubber fail and causing vibration? If that is the case I would send it out to a driveshaft shop that will press the center support
and balance the shaft. I have tried this on several occasion and end up sending it out. My problem was the press I was using was not high enough to clear the shaft I'm sure the driveline shop have a better way of doing it.

Mine was real easy. Hardest part is the stake nut.

Separate front and rear drive shafts behind the carrier bearing at the flange (the 4 bolts), disconnect the front shaft from transfer case (again a 4 bolt flange), unbolt the two bolts holding the carrier bearing to the frame cross-member, pay attention if there are any washers between the bearing and cross-member.
Figure out how to remove the stake nut, I ground a chisel to fit in the slot and hammered out the staked bit. Flange should slide off now followed by the carrier bearing iirc. Mind the washer and spacers (if any) when reassembling.

Last edited:
Mine was real easy. Hardest part is the stake nut.

Separate front and rear drive shafts behind the carrier bearing at the flange (the 4 bolts), disconnect the front shaft from transfer case (again a 4 bolt flange), unbolt the two bolts holding the carrier bearing to the frame cross-member, pay attention if there are any washers between the bearing and cross-member.
Figure out how to remove the stake nut, I ground a chisel to fit in the slot and hammered out the staked bit. Flange should slide off now followed by the carrier bearing iirc. Mind the washer and spacers (if any) when reassembling.

Thanks for feedback. Found a write up somewhere with pics and swapping out the carrier bearing does not look difficult. I've dealt with stake nuts before on t-case, diff flange, and have the chisel to open up the staked portion.

My pleasure. Yea it's very easy job.
I see a lot of threads asking how to remove a stake nut, so I guess people find them hard?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom