Center Diff - Transfer Case Unlocking After 15 Feet (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I inherited a 91 FZJ80. Randomly used for past 2 years. The front driveline was removed (I know) and made into rwd for some reason. So the center diff needs to always be locked.

I’ve changed the dashboard switch, fuses, cdl relay and the sensor on top of the transfer case.

In low or hi, I can engage the CDL, hear it engage, start to drive and I hear the actuator unlock and then start to grind. I can put into neutral, engage the CDL and drive another 15 feet. The CDL does not blink, just turns off.

Advise on what’s next? Change transfer case oil? Could it be the actuator? I’ve asked some of the local shops and they have no idea.

Any recommendations would be appreciated, I’m at my skill limit. Any shop recommendations in the Tahoe/Carson/Reno area?

Thanks,
Wayne

Maybe start by narrowing down possibilities. Lock it and unplug the actuator. Does it end up getting moved back entirely on its own (seems impossible, but worth ruling out)? Lock it and unplug the sensor. Lock it and unplug the relay. Lock it and unplug the dash switch, you get the idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom