center diff NOT locking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.iluvrocks.com
OK, so I was out on the local trails yesterday, and when I put it in low gear the center diff didn't lock! :mad:
I got no lights on the dash (center lock light, abs light) and my F & R lockers just flashed. Driving it in low range the center diff did not seem to be locked. I'm not positive, but it was still easy to turn so I figure it wasn't locked.

Can anyone give me some suggestions as to where to start looking? I've got a manual, so I'll dig into that, but I figure someone else has had this problem before....

Chris,

On our club run today, one of the 80's had the same problem. We did not have time to try and trouble-shoot it. It did eventually lock and I had the driver leave it that way for the remainder of the trail(he has a CDL switch). I think that there may be a wiring issue or perhaps an actuator. I have a spare actuator and we may swap it out. I hope it's wires 'cuz the actuator is a biatch. It is NOT the low 4 position switch since the CDL switch by-passes that. Do you have a CDL switch? If not, I suspect that your low 4 postion switch may be bad.

so to give an update...
I got in the 80 and started it up....
center diff lock light and abs light immediately come on!!! ::)

I guess I left the center lock switch in. I pushed the switch and it unlocked fine. Worked the switch a couple times and diff locking seems sticky (it wasn't before) but working.... wierd!!!

I checked with the engine off and the key in *on* position and I consistantly heard the motor whirring, so there must be something sticking in there.
I put new 75w-90 redline in there about 5-6k miles ago, and can't see any leaks on a quick inspection, but haven't checked the level. Could oil level have anything to do with it anyway???

When we bought our 92, it had 160K on it and a fraile old vietnamese man owned it. The first time I tried to use the center diff lock it wouldn't so anything either. After about 15 min of fooling with the switch and going in and out of 4lo, it finally kicked in. I think it must have just been never used?!! I've had no problems since and now have 208K!!

Yep, a co-worker had the same thing...

Working it often for several days allow it to work flawlessly every time.

You must exercise your lockers! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom