Center Diff Lock Switch same as Hazzard? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Flank

American by Birth, Texan by the grace of God.
Threads
Website
www.staltimber.com
I think I read somewhere other than Mud that the Center Diff Lock switch was interchangeable with the Hazzard switch in a 95-97, or rather, you could use a hazzard switch AS a CDL.

Any truth to this?

95-97 switch has different grooves in the molex plug but from what I understand the terminals are the same, (could cut the plastic tab out). 93-94 is plug and play.

yep:D

fits in your pocket nicely next time at the pick-a-part:idea:

got mine out of a 95 2wd taco

I bet they are the same early 90's thru late 90's but I'm not a parts guy

I'm sure the '95-'97 LC CDL/hazard switches, as well as mid-90's taco hazard switch, are all functionally the same. But the hazards have at least two different part numbers because on some models the switch mounts vertically in the dash and others it mounts horizontally, and so the hazard symbol in the middle of the switch is oriented differently.

Last edited:
I checked all toyotas in my local yard and they were all different. Late 80s - 94 Camrys were not right - they were on an angle. All 1980's vehicles were either on the steering column or a completely different square hazard switch.

What other vehicles did this hazard switch come in?

I recently got two hazzard switches out of '93 and '94 Tercels. As mentioned above, Camrys are no go as are all of the Lexus' and Celicas I've seen. In the Tercels, they are just to the right of the steering column--very easy to yank out with a couple screw drivers. So much better than paying the big $$$ for the "real" thing". More fun too. $3.40 apiece. ;)

Justin

I recently got two hazzard switches out of '93 and '94 Tercels. As mentioned above, Camrys are no go as are all of the Lexus' and Celicas I've seen. In the Tercels, they are just to the right of the steering column--very easy to yank out with a couple screw drivers. So much better than paying the big $$$ for the "real" thing". More fun too. $3.40 apiece. ;)

Justin

So the hazzard switch out of a 93-94 tercel work? If I only would have seen this a couple weeks ago when I pulled a hazzard switch out of a '93 camry to find out it didnt work. :doh: All in all it will still be a lot cheaper than buying the "real thing", even with my "opps" purchase.

I'm sure the '95-'97 LC CDL/hazard switches, as well as mid-90's taco hazard switch, are all functionally the same. But the hazards have at least two different part numbers because on some models the switch mounts vertically in the dash and others it mounts horizontally, and so the hazard symbol in the middle of the switch is oriented differently.

If CDan would chime in...although I would understand since it is not in his best interest:flipoff2:

My cdl came out of a rav4. Drive train is 90 degrees off in pic, dig around the pic and pulls for toyotas with diff locks

But the hazards have at least two different part numbers because on some models the switch mounts vertically in the dash and others it mounts horizontally, and so the hazard symbol in the middle of the switch is oriented differently.

Again, if it helps--the symbols in the switches I came accross and yanked from the mid-90's Tercels were oriented the same direction as in our 80's. However, if your going to pop the clear plastic square up and scrape off the red triangle to replace with the "CDL symbol", it doesn't really matter which way it's oriented. It's a given that YRMV and you might have to do some triming on the BACK of the switch to get it to line up with the already there harness--I did not. :p

Jwp

Check Fourunners too, I have pulled the defrost swiches out of them and I think hazzard also.

GOOD to know!!! saves us all $... or maybe I am a cheap A$$

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom