Center diff lock not disengaging (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so I have a 1994 landcruiser. I put it into neutral, low for the center lock to engage. The light turns on and it engages properly and i hear the click. When i put it back into high and then reg drive. The light does not turn off (center diff lock light) and my locker still feels engaged. I tried doing everything possible. Reverse left right, s turning, switching thw transfer case, ..what shall do. Any suggestion. Now it does feel a very slight grind when I put it into low to turn it off or to turn it off regardless. Is that a problem and any suggestions to disengage it?

Maybe set it in neutral with lever in high and climb underneath to smack it sharp with something a few times? If it pops back out id probably re engage and repeat a bunch of times to exercise it. I just put a CDL switch in mine and the light was very lazy to come on the first 5 or so times. So I basically spammed the switch for a while until it started working almost instantly.

I recently had this issue, pulled the locker actuator and rebuilt it- to no avail. Turned out to be the 'transmission relay' in the driver's kick panel.

Maybe set it in neutral with lever in high and climb underneath to smack it sharp with something a few times? If it pops back out id probably re engage and repeat a bunch of times to exercise it. I just put a CDL switch in mine and the light was very lazy to come on the first 5 or so times. So I basically spammed the switch for a while until it started working almost instantly.
What is it I'm hitting undernetlath
What am I hitting?

Sorry. I forget that I know exactly where it is and what it looks like, and maybe other don't. Look on the upper end of the pass side of transfer case ( I'll assume you know what this is). You will see a "unit" with a connector and wiring bolted on. Do a quick search for an image of you need.

Bear in mind that these do break or go bad often enough so this may not be your ticket out but might be worth a shot. Same idea as smacking a sticking starter.

I had same situation last year, stuck with the center locked, and it turned out to be the CDL relay under the drivers kick panel. Got a used replacement and swapped from @arcteryx

I have the same issue on a 91. I've read a lot of threads but can't find a good step by trouble shooting guide. How did you find out it was the relay? I don't want to just throw parts at it.

I have the same issue on a 91. I've read a lot of threads but can't find a good step by trouble shooting guide. How did you find out it was the relay? I don't want to just throw parts at it.
I'm sure there are tests, likely in the FSM. In my case, I knew it was a possibility, so I swapped in another relay I happened to have available. You might be able to borrow a friend's relay for testing purposes.

Factory service manual for the win. Everything you need is in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom