Center diff lock in 4 low (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Another center diff lock thread i know, but I haven't been able to find anything about this particular problem.

I have a 1999 100 with factory rear elocker. This all started with the inability to engage my rear locker when I put it in 4 low. After reading a few CDL threads I remembered that last time I put the rig in 4 low, the CDL would auto engage, I believe that this is supposed to be the case with 98-99 100's. But currently when I put it in 4 low the CDL does not automatically engage. The CDL does however engage just fine when I hit the CDL button, whether in 4 high or low.

My theory is that even though I am in 4 low, there is something that is not communicating and telling the electronics that I truly am in 4 low, thus leading to the rear locker not engaging.?

Anyone have any suggestions, my initial thoughts were to replace the transfer indicator switch and see if that helps.

As always, thanks for the help!

Strange. So you select 4 low, then engage cdl, see the cdl light up on the dash, then try to engage the rear diff lock and still no luck?

So I cracked the code! Took out the 4 Low switch and cleaned it up. Reinstalled, put it in 4 low and boom! CDL automatically engaged. Then I hit the RDL switch and RDL along with ABS lights went solid almost immediately.

The low switch must have been gummed up. Glad it ended up being an easy fix. I was about to take apart the RDL assembly for no reason......

So I cracked the code! Took out the 4 Low switch and cleaned it up. Reinstalled, put it in 4 low and boom! CDL automatically engaged. Then I hit the RDL switch and RDL along with ABS lights went solid almost immediately.

The low switch must have been gummed up. Glad it ended up being an easy fix. I was about to take apart the RDL assembly for no reason......

Any photos of the switch you cleaned? Mine does the same thing, cdl needs pushed whether in hi or low. I forgot it’s not supposed to be like that till I came across your post.

Any photos of the switch you cleaned? Mine does the same thing, cdl needs pushed whether in hi or low. I forgot it’s not supposed to be like that till I came across your post.

Sorry I didn't take any pics. If you look on the back side of your transfer case you will see the 2 switches on the top. The low switch is the one that is angled at almost 90 degrees toward the passenger side

Not sure what year your 100 is, but apparently CDL only auto engages on 98-99 100's when you put it in low.

Sorry I didn't take any pics. If you look on the back side of your transfer case you will see the 2 switches on the top. The low switch is the one that is angled at almost 90 degrees toward the passenger side

Not sure what year your 100 is, but apparently CDL only auto engages on 98-99 100's when you put it in low.
Ah mines a 00

I prefer to have my CDL NOT engage when in 4low. Sometimes it's nice to have the lower gearing, but without the binding.
This is very useful on tight trails. Turning normal in 4 low and not binding up the center diff is really helpful.

98 and 99 guys can do the pin 7 mod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom