Center dash power outlet (next to ashtray) not working. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OwnerCS

GOLD Star
Threads
I have two 12v power outlets in the dash. I think they are both 12v. The one on the far right works to run my car charger. I have not been able to make the center outlet work. Is the center dash outlet that is next to the ashtray on a different circuit than the far-right outlet?

Any tips to find the culprit will be greatly appreciated.

I have two 12v power outlets in the dash. I think they are both 12v. The one on the far right works to run my car charger. I have not been able to make the center outlet work. Is the center dash outlet that is next to the ashtray on a different circuit than the far-right outlet?

Any tips to find the culprit will be greatly appreciated.
yes it is on a different circuit if I remember correctly. I would start checking fuses to see if something is blown or there is a break because I want to say it is tied to something else in the system (like radio or AC).

yes it is on a different circuit if I remember correctly. I would start checking fuses to see if something is blown or there is a break because I want to say it is tied to something else in the system (like radio or AC).

Thanks Greg.

Thanks Greg.
If you have problems I have the 98 EWD for my LC. Not sure if they will be the same but I can dig it out and take a look this evening.

If you have problems I have the 98 EWD for my LC. Not sure if they will be the same but I can dig it out and take a look this evening.

Thanks for the offer. Let's see how far I get.

Separate circuits. The left is a “cigarette lighter”, and the right is something like “aux power”.

There may also be a small fusible link on the back of the cigarette lighter socket that could be the problem. It is the little short black wire in the photo below. It can be checked with an ohm meter. It is not uncommon for these to get blown on Toyota vehicles if something like a an air compressor, inverter or other device that has moderate load for an extended period of time was used in it. These fusible links are designed for high amps for short periods of time as a cigarette lighter would use. Moderate amps for extended periods of time will blow the fusible link but not the fuse in the fuse box. You can find replacements fusible links on E-bay for about $6 if that is the problem, or see if your local parts department can help you find a part number for it. Best of luck!

fusible link.jpg

There may also be a small fusible link on the back of the cigarette lighter socket that could be the problem. It is the little short black wire in the photo below. It can be checked with an ohm meter. It is not uncommon for these to get blown on Toyota vehicles if something like a an air compressor, inverter or other device that has moderate load for an extended period of time was used in it. These fusible links are designed for high amps for short periods of time as a cigarette lighter would use. Moderate amps for extended periods of time will blow the fusible link but not the fuse in the fuse box. You can find replacements fusible links on E-bay for about $6 if that is the problem, or see if your local parts department can help you find a part number for it. Best of luck!

View attachment 2685642
^^^ This 100%. I blew the fusible link running an air compressor and I was stumped for weeks. Ended up soldering the connection back together.

Do you have an aux power in console or in rear of truck? Those are on the same circuit as the front one. May help narrow if it’s fuse or the outlet itself.

Do you have an aux power in console or in rear of truck? Those are on the same circuit as the front one. May help narrow if it’s fuse or the outlet itself.

Good point. The outlet in the console is working.

On my 01 LX all three of those are on one circuit, so for me it was a fuse. Assuming it’s the same for you, well, you know.

+1 drivers side kick panel fuse

Fuse #34 "Cigar" looked ok. I replaced it anyway. No change for the cigar lighter. Other power outlets are still working. I need to go deeper and look into the fusible link as pointed out above.

I need to figure out how to get behind the cigar lighter. Does it bezel pop out or do I need to remove the housing tan trim housing.

BTW - I have an accessory RAM mount ball for the early model non-nav dash arriving tomorrow from BenCC so I know I need to get into that part of the dash.
I may be able to get all this squared away this weekend.

When I removed the console I thought some wild bears or raccoons were going to come running out. Lots of ancient Ritz cracker crumbs and spilled drinks going back 10+ years or more before me. I was busy cleaning that last night. :-|

I'm working to get as much as I can accomplish this weekend. We have a nice TLCA event coming up at Hot Springs ORV park starting June 2nd.

I need to figure out how to get behind the cigar lighter. Does it bezel pop out or do I need to remove the housing tan trim housing.

BTW - I have an accessory RAM mount ball for the early model non-nav dash arriving tomorrow from BenCC so I know I need to get into that part of the dash.
I may be able to get all this squared away this weekend.

When I removed the console I thought some wild bears or raccoons were going to come running out. Lots of ancient Ritz cracker crumbs and spilled drinks going back 10+ years or more before me. I was busy cleaning that last night. :-|

I'm working to get as much as I can accomplish this weekend. We have a nice TLCA event coming up at Hot Springs ORV park starting June 2nd.
The cigarette lighter trim simply pulls out straight backwards, but you need to remove the shifter trim first:

- Put AT shifter in N or D
- Unscrew HLN shifter knob
- Pull trim straight up at the cup holders. There are hold-down clips directly under each cup holder. Pull hard.
- Tilt trim up and unplug seat heater and 2ND/PWR switches.
- Remove trim.
- Barf after you see all the nasty crap under there. 🤮 ☕🍭🥨🍗🍔🥤

The cigarette lighter trim simply pulls out straight backwards, but you need to remove the shifter trim first:

- Put AT shifter in N or D
- Unscrew HLN shifter knob
- Pull trim straight up at the cup holders. There are hold-down clips directly under each cup holder. Pull hard.
- Tilt trim up and unplug seat heater and 2ND/PWR switches.
- Remove trim.
- Barf after you see all the nasty crap under there. 🤮 ☕🍭🥨🍗🍔🥤

For sure.. 👍 I started having that reaction last night. The metal brackets were severely rusted and sticky from being soaked in some sticky soda drink. I have the brackets soaking in a vat of Muriatic acid at the moment. They will look like new when I'm done.

The fusable link on the Cigar lighter looks different from the 12v power plug.

The one that doesn't work.

1622118929857.png

The one that works.

1622119015463.png

I found this video on the fusible link

They use the same connector styles for the 2 in the lower dash panel. Swap them to test if you have a wiring issue or a recepticle issue, if you haven't tried it already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom