Center Console Idea - Any CAD pros? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone proficient in CAD want to help draft up a part? I thought I could use my architectural software, but apparently it's a bit limited in it's CAD capability for small parts like this (meant for designing houses, not parts).

As you all know the center console is stingy on space for items like your phone. I'm not a fan of the dash or vent mount phone holders. I saw the little molle panel victory 4x4 makes, but It's an odd shape and requires you to use additional pouches or whatever (which is a great idea), but I figured why not make a larger panel that stands off the center console enough for a phone to drop in the slot. You could still have molle capability. Spaced at about 3/4" off the center console you could run it about 10" without interfering with the seat. Something like this:

panel-pic.jpg

Maybe make it out of aluminum, powdercoat black. Have a 90 degree bend front edge and bottom so your stuff doesn't slide out, maybe at a 45 along the rear edge so it's not abrupt if the seat is all the way forward for a short driver. Could make RH and LH so passenger could have one as well. Handy place to put a navigating tablet if you use one. I'd have to pull off that panel and make sure the mounting points could be there or if there is a better way to mount. Thoughts?

Anyone proficient in CAD want to help draft up a part? I thought I could use my architectural software, but apparently it's a bit limited in it's CAD capability for small parts like this (meant for designing houses, not parts).

As you all know the center console is stingy on space for items like your phone. I'm not a fan of the dash or vent mount phone holders. I saw the little molle panel victory 4x4 makes, but It's an odd shape and requires you to use additional pouches or whatever (which is a great idea), but I figured why not make a larger panel that stands off the center console enough for a phone to drop in the slot. You could still have molle capability. Spaced at about 3/4" off the center console you could run it about 10" without interfering with the seat. Something like this:

View attachment 2775738

Maybe make it out of aluminum, powdercoat black. Have a 90 degree bend front edge and bottom so your stuff doesn't slide out, maybe at a 45 along the rear edge so it's not abrupt if the seat is all the way forward for a short driver. Could make RH and LH so passenger could have one as well. Handy place to put a navigating tablet if you use one. I'd have to pull off that panel and make sure the mounting points could be there or if there is a better way to mount. Thoughts?
3D printer?

What software were you using? This would be very simple to mockup in Rhino or Sketchup. 3D printing is definitely a possibility, but size may be an issue. CNC milling aluminum is another option as well. Are you anywhere near a maker-space? A lot of cities have coop-style spaces with 3D printers, milling machines, etc. that you can learn to use.

I can do this next week. Have a 3D printer also, so I can probably get a prototype built up pretty easily.

What software were you using? This would be very simple to mockup in Rhino or Sketchup. 3D printing is definitely a possibility, but size may be an issue. CNC milling aluminum is another option as well. Are you anywhere near a maker-space? A lot of cities have coop-style spaces with 3D printers, milling machines, etc. that you can learn to use.
I have Chief Architect which is for home design. It has some cad functionality but difficult to do with small measurements. I’m in rural Wyoming, town of 200. So no, no maker -space nearby, ha ha. I’ll check out sketch up.

I can do this next week. Have a 3D printer also, so I can probably get a prototype built up pretty easily.
I have some measurements for size. I made a template off the trim piece. I still need to pull it off and see what is behind it to make sure mounting points are possible.

Interested if this gets built

I have some measurements for size. I made a template off the trim piece. I still need to pull it off and see what is behind it to make sure mounting points are possible.
Post those dimensions here once you have them, just write them right on the template. Will be a good starting point and I'll take a swing at it. Mounting without screws would be nice, vhb tape could probably get it done.

@bemerritt Yes, would be nice to be able to install it with double stick tape. I was thinking it would need to be aluminum maybe to light weight and be rigid enough. I'm not sure if they can bend that tight to get a flat surface to mount with. If 3d printing would it end up being pretty thick to get the rigidity needed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom