Center Bore Question --- 108mm on our trucks? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I searched and found our FJ80's to have a 106mm center bore. I found some nice aftermarket 15x8 AR wheels from a Dodge Ram pickup (back spacing 3.75") and the center bore size on it is 4.25" so it's 107.95mm (approx 108mm).

I did a search and found 2 other members who had some experience so I sent them PMs. Has anybody else had any experience with 108mm center bore aftermarket wheels on our FJ80's? These wheels look good, but I don't want to spend a few hundred bucks just to find out they don't fit properly.

The things I want to know are how did it drive? Were there really noticable vibrations? If so, at what speeds? Or was the 2mm really neglible and not noticed at all?

not sure about the early trucks, but on the later ones at least, IIANM, the wheels are hubcentric so the fit is important. Interestingly, I found that my Tundra steelies did fit much tigher than the OEM alloys on my 97. So, I'm guessing that 2 mm more is a lot, will prevent contact with hub and negate the hub support, i.e. not good? I suppose you could put an annular insert though.

The only things that were changed on the newer trucks to make them hub centric were the wheels and lug nuts. If you choose to use wheels that are lug centric, you won't be any worse off than any '94 and earlier 80 series. I haven't noticed any vibrations on my '94 that I could attribute to the wheels being lug centric.

Edit- You own a '91 according to your sig line. You have no worries, your truck's wheels aren't contacting the hub now.

-Spike

Could be wrong, but I thought all Dodge 1/2t's came with 5 on 5.5 wheel pattern (maybe they changed on the very latest). Once you step up to the 3/4t they go to 8 on 6.5. What Dodge are the wheels from?

Doesn't really answer your question, sorry.

Jack

P.S. I know that the Dakota has a funky 6 on 4.5 pattern.

Edit- You own a '91 according to your sig line. You have no worries, your truck's wheels aren't contacting the hub now.

I'm running 1.5" TG spacers, and they're hub centric. They're also 106mm, and my hub behind it also had a lip/ring on it for the hub centric spacer.

Are you saying that on my 91, using the 108mm center bore wheels vs. a Toyota 106mm center bore wheel wouldn't matter then? Just wanted to make sure before I buy a set of used wheels that I can't return if they don't work out.

Could be wrong, but I thought all Dodge 1/2t's came with 5 on 5.5 wheel pattern (maybe they changed on the very latest). Once you step up to the 3/4t they go to 8 on 6.5. What Dodge are the wheels from?

Supposedly these came off of an 86 Dodge Power Ram 50 pickup. Here's a pic of the wheels.
tire_3.jpg

Supposedly these came off of an 86 Dodge Power Ram 50 pickup. Here's a pic of the wheels.

I forgot about the Ram 50/Mitsubishi trucks. Now back to our regurlarly scheduled thread.:D

Jack

NEW QUESTION pertaining to my original:

If I use cone-seated lugnuts, thus forcing the 108mm center bore wheels to become lug-centric, would that solve my problem and ultimatley work if I center the wheels with the lugs on my truck?

The last time I want is to have some bad vibrations at highway speeds because of the 2mm center bore difference. Thanks.

NEW QUESTION pertaining to my original:

If I use cone-seated lugnuts, thus forcing the 108mm center bore wheels to become lug-centric, would that solve my problem and ultimatley work if I center the wheels with the lugs on my truck?.

If the wheels take a cone lug nut then sure that will work, if the wheels take a shouldered lug nut then no.

well, even on steel wheels with conical holes the conical contact patch can do a number on the wheel hole if tight enough. Let alone on alloy wheels with a cylindrical hole. You'd crush the edge in no time.

I'm running 1.5" TG spacers, and they're hub centric. They're also 106mm, and my hub behind it also had a lip/ring on it for the hub centric spacer.

Are you saying that on my 91, using the 108mm center bore wheels vs. a Toyota 106mm center bore wheel wouldn't matter then? Just wanted to make sure before I buy a set of used wheels that I can't return if they don't work out.

I know nothing about the do's and don't's of spacers. If you were running those wheels on the wheel hubs you wouldn't have a problem. As far as lug nuts go, Raventai nailed it. You have to use whatever nuts the wheels were made for. I have personally used shank-type lug nuts on aftermarket wheels that weren't hub-centric on my old 40 series without issues, so I don't know for sure that all lug-centric wheels take cone-type lug nuts, but 80's from the factory do. If I were in your position, I'd run lug-centric wheels on it without a second thought as long as the spacers don't create an issue.

-Spike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom