CEL P401 repair and cost (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The CEL was on and pulling code P401 insufficient flow EGR.

I took it to my local Toyota dealer (Miller Toyota in Manassas VA) and they diagnosed the problem:

"VSV for EGR not allowing EGR to function"

Their solution:

"Replaced VSV (Vacuum Switching Valve) which allows the EGR to function. EGR Valve was unable to get to temp and allow flow throught the EGR system"

VSV $104 + gaskets = $120.53

LABOR 509.40 - 6 hours at $85 an hour

Total $646

If it pulls the same P401 code again, they agreed to fix for free.

Did I get hosed on the price?

Never had any emission issues so I cant comment, but 6 hours for that jobs sounds like alot.

While it is truly a PITA job to replace the VSV for an amateur, I'm sure the shop can do it much quicker. However, they're charging you book rate even though they'll prolly get the job done in half the time and then move on to another vehicle. As long as you have it in writing that they'll fix the 401 for free, if it rears its ugly head, you should be in good shape. Also, I'd want the future EGR parts for free as well for this kind of a "bend me over" labor cost. There are only couple of other EGR parts that could be the culprit in case the VSV isn't the issue.

On the other hand, suck it up and figure out how do this PITA job yourself and save the dough. Use the money to buy a FSM, good quality tools and beer. There are lots of threads and pics on this topic if you do a search to make yourself more comfortable.

Good luck.

did they tell you which "gaskets" they replaced? just curious. it may not be such a burn if some of the gaskets they replaced were difficult/time consuming...

If you don't want to do this yourself, look for a private mechanic that specializes in Toyota repair. See what kind of estimate you get there. Lots of times they will be more reasonable. Also, make sure they use only genuine Toyota parts, and tell them about the dealer guaranteeing the work.

For 6 hours book time, they would be pulling the intake so that would account for the gaskets. The VSV for EGR can be removed without the R&R of the intake. The process has been described many times. This should be a 2hr job if you leave the intake on.

-B-

Think it took me maybe an hour and just the cost of the VSV, and most of that was to get the lower bolt of the intake brace out, a volume auto mechanic at a dealer should easily be able to beat that time.

Like -B- said it sounds like they are charging to pull the intake witch is not required.

I think you'll get hosed whenever you take it to a Toyota dealer. I paid $120 in labor at a local independent to replace mine. I provided the VSV, purchased from CDan. I planned to do it myself but couldn't find the time.

LABOR 509.40 - 6 hours at $85 an hour

Total $646

If it pulls the same P401 code again, they agreed to fix for free.

Did I get hosed on the price?

Sorry, but yes. That's pretty ridiculous. Depending on which way you access it, any novice with an FSM can do this job the first time through in under 2 hours. There are two different ways to get the the VSV for EGR out. In the past I've just removed the throttle body so I could clean it at the same time. Once the throttle body is out (not diffficult), two bolts and the VSV is out.

IMHO, the max you should have to pay is 2.5 to 3.0 hours of labor (1.0 for diagnosis).

:beer:
Rookie2

Thanks

I appreciate all the advice. It did sting a little in the wallet. The only saving grace is that if it pulls the same code again, they will repair for free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom