CDS - Creeky Dash Syndrome? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone else out there with creeky dash syndrome? I need to tighten up the dash or something. Has anyone had this issue and has anyone fixed this issue?
When it is nice and wam out, you never hear it. Now that it has gotten colder, it is creeking away. Also, if I push hard on the dash, to the right of the steering wheel, I can make it stop so I thinking something is loose.

If you have fixed this issue, is it possible to access the screws that tighten the dash just by removing the center stack (stereo and HVAC controls). The center stack is so easy to remove and that would be great if that were the case.

Thank you in advance,

uzj100

Vehicle Specs - 1999 - 106k miles.

I have an inelegant solution. I wedged a piece of folded cardboard between the driver side a-pillar and the top left of the dash (just left of the VIN plate) and it seemed to tighten up the entire dashboard. It creates about a quarter inch gap, but the darn squeeking/buzzing that I was getting from the upper right side of my instrument cluster went away.

Ok, I will start there. I will investigate through the center stack also.

uzj100

I've got squeeky steeringwheel. Haven't tried to fix it yet. My '02 tacoma suffered from rattle dash, took it back to the dealer 3 times before they got it fixed.

I have the same sound on mine, started when the weather got cold. I will also try the cardboard. Appears to be coming from the center stack.

Could be the dash pins making noise... Have not heard mutch of the Lx's doing it but the Rx's do it all the time(is more of a rattle than creek though). I usualy just put some fip in the dash pin holes before re-installing the dash.

Definitley a creeky noise, not a rattle at all.

OK, what is fip?

uzj100

I guess I'm lucky, my dash doesn't creek or rattle.

00 w/85,000mi.

I've seen caulking and foam used to tighten things up under the dash before...

I think you have the right idea though. Open up the center and try and figure out what is loose, etc.

My dash doesn't squeak, but my sunroof does. Annoying as hell.

My 2004 does a bit of rattling after taking it off-road over a bunch of wash-boards. I notice if I squeaze my hand against the clear plastic window of the instrument panel the noise stops. I also see there are a couple od screws (upside down) which look like if tightend would solve the problem.

I'm getting the same noise in my '99.
I'm going to try the cardboard approach too.

Dash Rattle/Creak Killed!

Reviving this old thread to avoid starting another one.

I have had a worsening dash rattle (every washboard or trail day seemed to make it a bit worse) since we bought our '99 a few years ago, always worse when cold. It was starting to remind me of the XJ we traded in for it:rolleyes:

I went with a shotgun catchall approach and should have taken a before pic.

I pumped a lot of Black Silicone Gasket Maker into an upper left dash mount. It was a plastic tab from the dash passing though a plastic washer or spacer and into a metal tab. I suspect this was most of my problem. I worked the silicone into it as well as I could with my fingers. (This is the joint behind the defrost vent pipe in the pic, not the tan screw connection I also gooped)

I also found the windshield defroster vent was distorted from heat and age and blocked it up with some foam tape.

There was a side window defrost vent that could have been bouncing around as well so it got the foam tape treatment.

All the fasteners got checked that were accessible and the pcb screws on the gauge pod were mostly loose.

I finished it off by attaching some Dyanamat Xtreme to the underside of the dash around the gauge pod and to the top of the gauge pod itself(not shown).

All in all it got the job done. I have no rattle now at all and the dash is a lot more dead and solid feeling with the dynamat.

img20130518122640977.jpg

Larger Image:http://imageshack.us/a/img40/1097/img201305181226409771.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom