CDN spec HJ60, horns 12V or 24V? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

georgebj60

SILVER Star
Threads
I've been searching, but found both answers. I want to buy new horns for my 1987 CDN spec HJ60. It's 24V, with the centre tap 12V headlights. Seems this a CDN only thing, and some of the searching I've done says the horns also use the 12V tap.

Can anyone clear this up for sure? If I had to guess, I'd say the horns are 24V as they are a different part number from an FJ, but I'd like to know for sure...

Thanks in advance.

Ok, I'll look into those. I was originally thinking of getting Hella horns. Cheap, and easy to get on Amazon.

Hella make good stuff. If you have a helper, you can always unplug the existing horn and use a multimeter to see what voltage is at the connectors when the button is depressed.

Yeah, I thought of that. And I'll probably do it, it's just I'm not quite there yet with my project. Last night I finally finished running the harness and plugged a few things back in. It will be a little while before I connect batteries....

IMG_20191203_214810.jpg

IMG_20191203_214818.jpg

Hi George, definitely 24 volt horns.

However, despite that, I've had a standard Fiamm Lo tone 12 volt one one side for a few years and it seems to to be doing ok. Sounds pretty angry though...

I've left the original Toyota 24 volt horn on the other side- I found the original two 24 volt stock horns a bit wimpy sounding, so I threw a cheap Fiamm one on as an experiment. So far so good, but I never really lean on the horn very much... so I don't know what it would take to blow up the 12 volt horn.

Last edited:
@Freewheel , thanks for the reply, and confirming the 24V. I've heard the OE horns are wimpy, but I was more interested in replacing mine as they are in terrible shape.

I was going to try these:

Screen Shot 2019-12-05 at 20.45.28.png

Give us a report when you get them in.
I keep wanting to put a 24 volt set of air horns in mine, but they're expensive, and there always seems like there's something more important to spend money on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom