CDL switch relocation tips

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by new2mud, Jul 25, 2005.

1. new2mud

new2mud

For those who want to put the CDL switch over on the driver's left side (next to the dimming dial), it's really easy to do:

The lowest panel under the steering wheel pops out after removing 3 screws.

Then the panel that contains the "switch box" that has the dimmer and the blanking plates removes as an entire unit (this panel runs all the way across the top of the steering wheel and contains the hole for the ignition key)--do NOT try to remove just the little black switch panel).
    This upper panel just pops off at 3 points (just give it a good tug as you work your way left-to-right) and it will pop right out.
    Note: this way you do not need to try to pry out the blanking plate from the front and risk marring the surrounding plastic--you will be able to pop out the blanking plate from behind after you remove this upper panel.

At this point you have easy access to use stout wire or coat hanger to run the 5 needed extension wires from the above-the-radio location of the original CDL harness to the new switch plate on the driver's left.

Snip the CDL harness, solder your wire extensions in, and you're ready to go!

Thanks to Rob for the relocation idea!

2. LCL

LCL

I am a very visual based learner. Pictures would be greatly appreciated!

3. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

SNIP??? SOLDER??? :eek:

I'll just plug mine in on the other side...thank you :)

Thanks for the write up though, I need this info for my light switch install.

4. 97 FZJ80

97 FZJ80

Albums:
    I had to cut away a few wire ties to get the CDL switch to mount on the lower siwtch position - next to the rear heater switch. Was your LX CDL wires long enough to reach to the other side of the steering wheel? :confused:

5. NorCalDoug

Mine? No. I just did what most others do...

I moved my alarm sensor/light to one of the lower spots and installed the CDL on the top row next to the Hazard button.

I would've preferred it to be tucked away, but didn't want to mess with the wiring (i.e. cutting, soldering, etc.) The less soldering the better for me -- I solder like a tard ;)

6. new2mud

new2mud

No, definitely the stock harness is not long enough to reach to the left of the steering wheel. I soldered in wire extensions to reach. I didn't want to relocate any of the existing switches, and also wanted to have the switch away from any passenger's inadvertent reach (including kids!).

Some have noted that they haven't had any problems with accidental CDL button presses in the above-the-radio location, but I just don't want to take any chances.

7. NorCalDoug

Agreed. Great idea. If I had soldering skillz, I would've done the same.

8. mabrodis

mabrodis

Cool to have options of where you can put the switch, I just put the CDL switch in the normal place when I had my LX, for me I hated having anything to the left. When I drive my left hand is always on the steering wheel, right hand is for shifting, eating, pointing, throwing rocks, etc...so for me having to control something on the left side of the steering wheel was a pain. I hated having the locker switch over there too, and on my next vehicle I will put some effort into seeing how hard it would be to move that switch to someplace more convenient for me...probably won't be able to move it, but I'm not a fan of switches over there...just my opinion...

9. new2mud

new2mud

OK, here's my attempt at graphical tutorial:
    I had to modify Rob's picture, which is the only picture I had of the interior.

Keep in mind that the panels actually extend all the way across the steering wheel to the right (as mentioned, the upper panel contains the cutout hole for the ignition key--you can't miss it!)

Just don't try to pop out the black button panel--it is a single unit with the upper panel (as far as I know).

Again, thanks to Rob for the picture (hacked drawings and text are mine--sorry!) and the tips!
    CDL switch left side labelled.jpg

10. 97 FZJ80

97 FZJ80

Albums:
    Do you :flipoff2: with you right hand? :D

The reason to have the CDL on the left of the steering wheel is to have it next to the diff lock switch and out of the reach of other passengers.

11. OZCAL

OZCAL

Thanks for this. I'l be doing it soon.

David

12. new2mud

new2mud

Clarification: on the drawing it looks like it says to not remove the CDL switch panel by itself--while true, I intended for it to state not to remove the larger black panel that houses all the switch blanks and the dimmer knob--as far as I know, it is a single unit with the entire upper panel.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.