CDL switch in... nothin.' (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
twitter.com
Hi all, am rebuilding my dash after my rig was raped. Took the opportunity to install a CDL switch. Everything's back together (except for stereo), but... when I hit the switch, nothing happens.

I can hear a fairly definite 'switch' sound coming from behind the instrument panel (I think), but there's no engagement in the t-case, and definitely no indicator change in the panel.

Fuse is not blown, its good. Do I need to problem solve underneath at the t-case?An aside: when I shift to 4L, should I get 'low' on the panel (cause I don't but from my manual I believe it says I should)? In doing a search, I got so many variable that I'm confused.

Also on Cristo's site there's a FAQ about an ABS mod related to this? What's the deal there-- I don't think my rig has ABS (it definitely doesn't work if I do) though I do have the light on the panel when I start up....

Thanks for any help. Cheers.

Is the engine turned on? Is the vehicle moving? Make sure both of those are happening.

Did the CDL work before when engaging low range?

I did not have a CDL switch before installing it... I was under the impression that this was a pretty easy plug n play mod--and it prolly is-- but its not working yet for me. 4LOW definitely works, but there's no indicator light on the panel-- should there be?

The same 'center difflock" indicator should come on both when the tcase is in low and when you press the CDL switch.

I would suspect the indicator bulb...

Good point... how can I test to tell whether the indicator bulb is bad or if indeed the center dif is engaged?

IXXI said:
I did not have a CDL switch before installing it... I was under the impression that this was a pretty easy plug n play mod--and it prolly is-- but its not working yet for me. 4LOW definitely works, but there's no indicator light on the panel-- should there be?

What Bailey said.

CDL = Center difflock.

CDL Switch = What you installed so you can have manual control over when it activates.

In stock form, the CDL will activate in low range. If it did not activate then, it most likely wont after you installed the switch.

How long have you owned the vehicle? Do you know it's history?

Unless it's been banged around, I'd think a burned out CDL light would indicate it's been on for a while in its life, long enough to burn itself out.

This isn't the solution to your problem since your CDL light isn't coming on in "Lo" but you should also do the pin-7 mod with your CDL switch.

Last edited:
Go to a gravel parking lot. Put in 4 low. Crank the wheel left or right and move forward. The wheels should scuff the ground, and you should feel this on the steering wheel and see it on the gravel. If this is the case, then it would appear your CDL is working properly but your light on the dash is out. If this is not the case then there appears to be something wrong with the switch on the T-case or a relay.

If your CDL works in 4 low, your CDL dash mounted switch should activate your CDL in 4 high if its plugged it in properly.

Later

I recently had the same issue with my 94. I knew the CDL was engaging but I had no light and the lockers wouldn't lock. The fix was to pull the CDL indicator switch on the xcase (11 o'clock position looking aft above front output shaft). It failed a continutity test when actuated, no surprise. I gave it a light percussion test, now has continuity. Reinstalled in xcase, light functioned as advertised as well as both lockers. I have a spare when I have the time to install it. At any rate it was easy to troubleshoot and a quick temp fix, give it a try.

Kris

When I first added the CDL switch I also did the pin7. When I activated the CDL in Hi or Lo the CDL indicator light did not come on, but the ABS light would. I could tell the CDL would engage though. I just assumed that the light was out. Last week I engaged the CDL and the light came on. I guess 50 miles of washboard dirt roads shook something back into place :D

Ross

Thanks for the replies.

IB: just slide under there and look for it? What wrench did you use to take it off to tap on it?

Geo: I read about the pin7 mod on Slee's site; so this has to be done if installing the CDL switch?

The 7 pin mod does not have to be done if you install a CDL. Doing the 7 pin mod will allow you to control when the CDL is on, whether its high or low range. IOW, you can be in low range with the center diff NOT locked.

Later

Landy: cool. Thanks for the clarification.

I'm slow, but will hopefully untangle this thing yet.

Just curious but what is IOW? google gave back Isle of Wright, which I don't think you were referring to. I'm slow too.

The pin7 allows engaging the CDL in high while maintaining the normal transmission shifts in low. The old mod allowng this mod (unplugging a sensor? on the TC) altered the transmission shifts in low. Oldtimers please correct me if I have this wrong.

With the switch only, you can engage and disengage the CDL while in low, which is great when you need max engine breaking, but don't need/want the CD locked. Besides, it is another cool switch to have :D

Ross

Last edited:
GeoRoss said:
Just curious but what is IOW? google gave back Isle of Wright, which I don't think you were referring to. I'm slow too.

The pin7 allows engaging the CDL in high while maintaining the normal transmission shifts in low. The old mod allowng this mod (unplugging a sensor? on the TC) altered the transmission shifts in low. Oldtimers please correct me if I have this wrong.

With the switch only, you can engage and disengage the CDL while in low, which is great when you need max engine breaking, but don't need/want the CD locked. Besides, it is another cool switch to have :D

Ross

Geo: THAT'S the explanation I needed (but didn't know how to ask.) Thanks!

I still need to see if the CD is working when in low (the light on the panel doesn't for sure.) If indeed it locks when in low, I'll move on to the pin7 mod so that I can lock/unlock in high. And I *WILL* want to get that damn light working on my panel at any rate (whether its the actual switch on the transfer case or just a bad bulb...)

And you're right-- another switch can't hurt!

Tools R Us said:
With the key on and engine off do you hear the locker motor on the transfer run when the CDL switch is pushed?

Nope. I seem to hear a definitive >click< from behind the guages fwiw, but no motor sound from down below. I'm sure its kinda quiet, but I don't hear a whir or much of anything down there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom