CDL SWITCH & 7 PIN MOD. / TRIPPLE LOCKED (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good Day

(1997 FZJ80)
I installed the CDL Switch and did the 7 Pin Mod. How do I make my FZJ80 Tripple Locked? Someone asked me if my 80 is tripple locked and I did not know what to say. I have seen a separate switch that is circular and turn to lock the front and rear differential but do not know if there is a pigtail to clip it into.

Also can I have both switches installed?

thanks in advance if you respond.

Screenshot_20200226-205720.png

Screenshot_20200226-205707.png

Your car has three diffs, each can be locked...front, center and rear...by doing the 7pin mod, you have managed to lock your center diff while in high range (H4) as it would do it by itself on low (L4)...now, the switch you may have on your left hand side is to lock rear diff and/or rear and front diff...once you have all engaged you have a tripple locked 80...

Triple locked means both axles and the transfer case have a locking mechanism. 3 lockers
In your year model, the tansfercase locker (all things equal) engages automatically when you shift into 4Low. The purpose for adding a button to control the t-case locker (control when it is engaged) is to enable all the lockers in 4Hi when situations permit or require.
Once the t-case (or center diff/center differential) is locked, the rotary dial is used to engage the rear locker and front locker (in that order), either rear-only or both at the same time. You cannot lock just the front diff without modification of the circuitry from factory configuration. But it is possible. Should be some threads here on that.

Naturally, all this is assuming that you know for a fact the truck was 3xl (triple locked) from the factory. There are instances where folk have just bought the switches and put them in the dash of a non-locked truck without also adding the accompanying hardware that makes it all work. (usually to impact the resale value, hoping the buyer wouldn't know enough to check thoroughly)

does your rig have this? Left side of the steering column. If not you can get some ARB Air lockers. Better than factory E lockers btw.
Switch.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom