CDL, RR, 4Hi, 4Lo....WTF???, ULTRA Newb Help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

Ok so I'm an Ultra newb when it comes to offroading.

I've been lurking on IH8MUD for a couple of days now to research FJZ80's (Awesome site btw!)

Basically I want a vehicle that's affordable, sunroof, able to carry loads of ppl, and be able to take me out in the backcountry.

I'm not interested in "Crawling" or "Baja", just a vehicle that will allow me to take the trail roads and be able to get back out.

So far, the FJZ80 fits the bill.

Ok so for my first question (of many I'm sure):

Can someone please graph out or detail the various 4WD driving options? :confused:I'm so confused as to when to use 4Hi or 4Lo? Then you have the RR and FR locking differentials? When do you use these? Then you have the CDL....:bang: when do you use this option? :crybaby: It's just too much for my little brain to handle:doh:

I've used the search option here but I can't find a simple explanation of all the options.

Sorry for being so newbie but I have to start somewhere:bang:

See? I told you I'm a Ultra newb. I can't even get the name right...LOL

Im sure others will chime in but....so our 80s are All Wheel Drive Full Time meaning they all spin at certain times, at the same rate and at different rates at other times to provide more traction.

4Hi is for your daily driving (0-100+ MPH) on paved roads/highways. To switch it into 4Lo, throw your truck into neutral, then put it in 4lo. 4Lo is for off road crawling (0-5 MPH), this locks your center differential (CDL) which divides power to both front/rear axles evenly. Then you have a CDL/7 Pin mod, search on how to do it. Basically, it allows you to lock your CDL in 4Hi (more traction when driving on loose terrain: mud, snow, gravel) and unlock your CDL in 4Lo (better turning radius).

Then you have your front/rear lockers. Some 80s come stock with them, and some don't. Basically whatever axle has a locker, it will spin both tires at the same time for those times when one wheel has less traction than the other ONLY when it is engaged. Well this is my understanding of things. Hope this helps!

Ok I will play too. What is the point of the cdl button? Does it engage the lock or disengage it? and when would I press it

Also read through the FAQ section at the top of the 80 Series page. Days upon days of information.

That diff article is a good read. I had little idea how/what they did. now I should know enough about it to not use it anywhere but wheeling on rugged terrain

For mild wheeling you don't need the diff locks just buy the nicest low mile one you can find

tpham: Thanks for that write up! It really helped.:)

jonheld: OMG, it's like as if that article was meant just for me :D I really appreciate it!

norcalsvx: I agree... I'm pretty sure I don't need the lockerz but the 'EvilKnival' in me really wants one. That and a scuba! :hmm:

Thanks again guys! I'm slowly building up my 4x4 knowledge thanks to this site! :bounce:

tpham: Thanks for that write up! It really helped.:)

jonheld: OMG, it's like as if that article was meant just for me :D I really appreciate it!

norcalsvx: I agree... I'm pretty sure I don't need the lockerz but the 'EvilKnival' in me really wants one. That and a scuba! :hmm:

Thanks again guys! I'm slowly building up my 4x4 knowledge thanks to this site! :bounce:

Where abouts do you live? Perhaps there is a local club you can get with.

4Hi is for your daily driving (0-100+ MPH) on paved roads/highways.

Regarding the H-N-L Transfer case shifter, when you drive a Fzj80, do you put the H-N-L into "H" when driving on asphalt/roads/freeways?

H
You will use H (high gear) for most of your driving on and off road. Good at all speeds 0-75+.

N
Neutral in the transfer case allows you to freely roll with out the transmission/engine turning since it doesn't allow and power transfer to the drivelines/wheels. Think of it as the same as neutral in the trans mission.

You'll use L (low gear) for low traction like mud or steep hills when off road. Max speed around 15 mph.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom