CDL Lock w/ unlocked hubs as RWD? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm baffled as to why locking hubs in the front, left unlocked and the center diff locked and not running through the viscous LSD, would not result in RWD with the opportunity for 4WD on demand... I've seached extensively but all I've found is a lot of "no" and "that wont work" but nothing concrete to explain why that wouldn't and anyone would need a Center Diff replacement for RWD/4WD setup

Thanks!

Because the front driveshaft, differential and axle shafts would still spin, so you wouldnt gain much (if anything) from it being "RWD"
The main reason why people convert to part time t-case is to keep the front driveline from spinning, which reduces wear and might reduce the fuel consumption a bit.

You are right in that it will drive (steer) similarly to "true" RWD...but since you'll still be spinning all the front bits, you'll still have whatever vibrations exist now.

Ok, in reality I'll have a driveline disconnect between the t-case and front driveshaft but I thought it simpler to …simplify the scenario.
I see your point, albeit they still wouldn't be under load. A lot of commercial 4WD vehicles have the disconnect at the transfer case so that the front drivetrain always spins from the wheel spin.
However, with hubs unlocked and a common drivetrain disconnect between t-case and Front driveshaft there would be zero load and zero spin, too.

Sounds like that would let you keep the best of all worlds, Viscous coupler for AWD when on icy roads and RWD/no wear on the front driveline all the other times, and then Locked 4wd when offroad.

I'm baffled as to why locking hubs in the front, left unlocked and the center diff locked and not running through the viscous LSD, would not result in RWD with the opportunity for 4WD on demand... I've seached extensively but all I've found is a lot of "no" and "that wont work" but nothing concrete to explain why that wouldn't and anyone would need a Center Diff replacement for RWD/4WD setup

Thanks!
Yes.
You convert the transfer case with a part time kit.
You leave the VC in it.
You convert the front axle to locking hubs.
You leave the front hubs unlocked.
The transfer case is moved to the 2WD position.
You lock the CDL in order to go anywhere.
When you want 4WD, you lock in the front hubs and place the transfer case shifter in 4WDHi or 4WDLo. The leave the CDL on or off accordingly .

Unless I don't understand the part time transfer case kit. The 2WD kit should stop the front DS from turning.

Unless I don't understand the part time transfer case kit. The 2WD kit should stop the front DS from turning.

The part-time kit in the transfer case replaces the center differential with a spool. Your current center diff lock is essentially a front driveline disconnect now. And since there is no differential in the Tcase anymore, the viscous coupler won't do anything at all.

You are right in that it will drive (steer) similarly to "true" RWD...but since you'll still be spinning all the front bits, you'll still have whatever vibrations exist now.

Or perhaps more with an unloaded driveshaft shaking around :D

Fwiw, part-time kits:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom