CDL - Does Noise Indicate Engagement? (1 Viewer)

Question: Does the illumination of the ABS and Diff Lock lights indicate that the CDL is locked - or must I also hear a metallic "clunk" to know that my CDL is locked?

Background:
When placing the transfer case into Lo gear - the ABS and Diff Lock lights immediately come on, but I don't hear any metallic "clunk". Does this mean my CDL isn't truely locked?

Every once in a while, I do hear a "clunk" upon going into Lo after driving a couple of feet and have also noticed that on these occassions the ABS and Diff Lock lights stay on for a couple of feet after going back into Hi - this is followed by another "clank" and the dash indicator light going out which I've assumed is the CDL unlocking.

Should I hear the "clunk" as soon as I select Lo - and likewise hear another "clank" as soon as I select Hi again?

Thanks.

Hmm, mine have a click when I push the button on my 80. But then I have a 91' FJ80 not an LX450, it's electric so you could hear a clicking noise, but mine clunks when it does that too.

Another item that leads me to believe the CDL isn't locking is the fact that the stearing doesn't seem to be as pondorous in Lo as some have described on the boards.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom