CDL didn’t work. The fix was to get it “in sync” ?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CarcaineProblems

GOLD Star
Threads
1995 3x locked with 7 pin mod and 113k miles.

I’ve been chasing an issue with my Center Diff lock not staying locked. When stationary the light would come on and the ABS light would come on. As soon as I drive, the lights flicker then turn off. I could hear some noises, but it just wouldn’t stay on

Toyota dealership tested all the electrical. Then suggested the front driveshaft was binding, which it was pretty worn out. New driveshaft didn’t fix the issue

I took it to an independent shop that I trust and has worked on several cruisers of mine in the past. Took them a few hours to fix it. They said the CDL actuator and the transfer case weren’t in sync. They weren’t meshing.

The mechanic who did the fix was gone so I won’t have more details for a few days, but it’s working now. My question is, does this sound familiar?? What exactly went on? I suspect they removed the actuator and put it back in but how does it get “in sync” or “out of sync”?

Thanks for the advice

If the t case was separated from the CDL motor, then shifted into the opposite state, then reattached, the motor will be out of sync with the shift collar.
The motor has two positions and the shift rod/collar has two positions, but they can be assembled wrong.
After I regeared my Tcase I put the CDL motor back on in the wrong state.once I figured out the problem I just had to pop it off the case and push the CDL button to cycle it to the opposite position, then reattach it to the Tcase.

113,000 miles!!!! And I thought my cruiser was a low mileage rig...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom