cd player wont play (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yes, I did a search............:flipoff2:

Will accept a cd but will not play. Doesn't even sound as though it is spinning. Anyone have the same problem? Worth trying to keep this unit or just drop a new one in?

My opinion, once you try different CDs, verify the cabling and power, I don't think its worth it to dig into one of these radios unless your an EE armed with a schematic and the proper tools. Consider this an opportunity to upgrade to a deck that plays MP3 formatted CDs (10 hours of music) and has anti0skip built in. The Pioneer deck in my FJ40 works great while the one in the LX450 skips when you start going offroad.

Even if you fix it, it'll just stop again in the future. The original in my '97 would just spit the CD out . Bought another unit from a forum member. It worked great for about a year....and then same problem. The factory unit sucks IMO anyway.

Upgrade now.

THX for the response.

It is powered and radio works. CD goes in but ejects it after a few seconds. I have another unit to replace it but would prefer to stay with the OEM radio. why? I don't know. I guess because all the aftermarket units have tiny little buttons, flashing lights and are marketed for kids that buy there sales pitch. I prefer the functionality of OEM equipment, that is, when it works.

Guess I could drop a CB and the head unit in the same slot as others have.

Certainly would benefit from the current production standards of a newer unit, playing mp3 and better tracking as you have mentioned. Those little buttons and the flashy looking appearance just drives me nuts. I am not a "SYSTEM" kind of guy.

Imthe same , Ibought a $35 TAPE player from a pawn shop . How cheap is that?

80me said:
THX for the response.

It is powered and radio works. CD goes in but ejects it after a few seconds. I have another unit to replace it but would prefer to stay with the OEM radio. why? I don't know. I guess because all the aftermarket units have tiny little buttons, flashing lights and are marketed for kids that buy there sales pitch. I prefer the functionality of OEM equipment, that is, when it works.

Guess I could drop a CB and the head unit in the same slot as others have.

Certainly would benefit from the current production standards of a newer unit, playing mp3 and better tracking as you have mentioned. Those little buttons and the flashy looking appearance just drives me nuts. I am not a "SYSTEM" kind of guy.

This was my answer also, just about a year ago...(nearly word for word). Now that I've gone through my second one, I'm just going to upgrade to something more modern. Hopefully I can find something fairly simple looking that will perform well. The head unit is the only thing (so far) I have found to dislike about my Cruiser.

It will only get worse with time.
For 2 years my cd player would not take a cd.
The truck would warm up then it would.
I have seen people more elec. savy then I post about how the drive that moves the reading eye just wears out. No fixing this.
I had to put a HI in my wifes new to her volvo. Picked up an Alpine HU. Best Buy free install.
While getting it installed ran into an open box deal on a high end Pioneer normally $269. Got it for $150.
Good luck

Thanks all for the input. Looks like I will be replacing my factory unit.

I'm also against the flashy, overcomplicated head units out there. The most conservative and straightforward are from Denon and Nakamichi. A good Denon can be found on ebay as the Rockford Fosgate Platinum 1000 (RFX8240 I think). Put "denon rockford platinum" in your ebay search terms to find it. Rockford sells them on ebay thru their online corporation Hgh Desert Audio. The downside to this unit is the faceplate is all silver brushed aluminum and not black. Also check out the Nakamichi units. They're so plain they could pass as oem, except they're single DIN.

Otherwise, check out the low end of the Eclipse and Alpine lines. I have an Eclipse CD3403 that I have been very happy with for the last couple years. Plays mp3's and cost $189.

This may be too obvious but has the player ever worked? If not, the CD's get installed upside down from normal. This caused my wife great distress until I explained it to her.

Have you tried using one of those head-cleaning CD's? I used one a couple or three times, and my CD player went back to functioning just fine.

I haven't. If it doesn't cost much I may try it but I don't even hear it spinning in there.

there's a place in florida, www.carstereohelp.com , they repair toyota factory head units for about $175 and guarantee it for 1 year. I've had mine repaired there about 3 years ago and it works great, fixed it once under the warrantee. All the same CD barfing problems were fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom