CCW Holders Chime in (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am just wondering how many of you carry? If you do, do any of you have any custom solutions for holding or storing your handgun in your vehicle? Do you have anything setup for those trips so you don't have to have it IWB digging into your side for an extended ride? How about storage in the back? Has anyone dedicated any of these drawers to holding rifles, magazines, or ammo? Just curious if there were any ideas floating around.

Nothing fancy here. If it is a long ride then the storage in the drivers door works for me.

Nothing fancy here. If it is a long ride then the storage in the drivers door works for me.

x2

For long guns I just transport them in individual cases, although it would be fun to make a fitted box in the rear with foam to hold them all. Not really needed, but would look awesome. :D

I usually have a few stashed in close proximity but nothing fancy. Rifles are in cases if I have one in the LC but that's usually only if I am traveling to a range or lease.

I've searched for a gunvault type console replacement but none are made for the 100 series. Would be nice to have a side-hinged lid for easier access from the drivers seat. There are some pistol mounts made for underneath the steering column.

If it's a pistol and you want it at the ready, you might consider a Blackhawk holster clipped to the driver door pocket or screwed inside the center console. I haven't tried this yet. The center console in my main vehicle is large enough to lay a pistol in.

If it's a pistol and you want it at the ready, you might consider a Blackhawk holster clipped to the driver door pocket or screwed inside the center console. I haven't tried this yet. The center console in my main vehicle is large enough to lay a pistol in.
The top part of my center console will fit my Glock 23 with an extra magazine almost perfectly. Some good input. I would love to see a rear cargo with a custom "Bug Out" drawer system. Just think it would be cool, not practical but really cool.

I'm thinking about buying one of these: http://www.gumcreekcustoms.com/Vehicle-Handgun-Mount-p8.html

As for my rifles, they get transported in individual cases but I want to come up with a scabbard for hunting. (NOT road hunting, just a place to put the gun while traveling from hunting spot to camp without having to put it in the case.)

First... Check local laws. These will vary widely by state. In VA you can't have loaded rifle mags when transporting long guns. Pay attention too when it comes to the following:
- some states have laws regarding "hidden compartments". A disgruntled LEO could stick you with this if it applies
- also think about how often you go into "Blue states". It would suck to forget you had something

Second... And before you mount anything, take a class in Self Defense... Good ones will include defending yourself from a vehicle.

Third... think about your climate, and how it impacts ammo. In VA, we have humid summers, as well as winters that go warm/cold quickly. Cycle your ammo regardless... With frequency depending on your climate. Don't stick stuff in places to hide it, and not touch for a year or so.

Lots of options for mounted holsters up front in the Hundy (inside console, outside console, under dash, drawers, etc). My fav is the maxpedition hook and loop. Allows for multiple mounting locations, is not specific to any handgun, and cheap ($15)

IMHO, galco shoulder holster is the way to go. Short draw from drivers seat to drivers window vs. Two handed attempt to get into your console. Allows you to train how you plan to use it, even in the confines of your own home.

Just a few things I use to guide my decisions on these.

I have a slim, single stack 9mm that tucks perfectly and snugly between the ebrake and the seat. Easy to draw and nearly invisible unless you are looking for it.

There is also a really cool holster mount out there, forget the name, that straps to the dash area that's underneath the steering wheel. Also really easy to get to from the seat.

I usually keep my pistol inside my waistband and my rifle propped up with about 4 inches of the barrel sticking out the window.

"Inside the pants" holster for short trips.

Sitting in the door inside this leather pouch/holster for longer trips.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414121659.599998.jpg

That way if anybody were to approach the window they wouldn't see it (and I am left handed, so it is an easy draw).

I looked into the "under seat the safe" after my car got towed and I had my gun in the glovebox...luckily gun was still in the glovebox at the impound yard.

(Ended up having some drinks at the bar and obviously, well maybe not "obviously," but I don't carry when drinking)

The last thing I want on my conscious is having some punk break into the car, steal the gun, and then use it on someone.

If there is any chance I am drinking, I just don't bring it....cheaper, easier and safer than bringing it.

In Texas and SD we hold our carry guns out the window to shoot in the air periodically.

Driver door pocket is what I like bc it's easy to remember to take back in the house, back on your belt, whatever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom