ccot wheel cylinders (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I installed their brake cylinders all around on my 66 FJ40. They've worked fine for the 500 or less miles I've got on them...tore down for rebuild. The look and quality was not like OEM but close. I did do a bit of smoothing on the edges and bore when I had them apart for adding brake fluid. For the price I think they're going to work just fine. I'm thinking that they're good untill I can do a full axel swap/ disc upgrade.

Disk Brakes at all 4 corners, im done with them things!

Before my 4WDB, I did the CCoT wheel cyclinders on all 4 corners. Like everything else from them, you get what you pay for, both in product quality and knowledge of the people answering the phone. To be fair, I haven't dealt with them for a acouple years so maybe they have gotten better.

Irregarless, the parts fit and worked well for a couple years but the problem was they apparently had them mislabled as to their location on the truck. I was told to be certain to install them exactly as marked on the boxes as they are location specific. This way all the adjustments are made in the same way. I was very careful to install them where marked and I still ended up with a mess. Some of the them adjusted out to tighten, others in. When I say out/in I mean the orientation of the brake adjusting tool handle, or screwdriver in relationship to the axle. This apparently has to do with the direction of the threads on the adjustment, or so I was later told. Adjusting manual FJ brakes are a PITA when everything is working right. Add in the confustion of trying to remember which direction to turn them and I give up.

As someone who I respect once said, I have never really been happy with anything I have bought from them, but sometimes their price justifys the compromise. Maybe not really their fault but at the end of the day the stuff I bought from them caused more problems than they solved. I say go disk and never look back.

I've had them in the rear for four years now. No problems, but my cruiser sees about 2k-3k miles per year. I also have a problem with the adjusters not turning the same way, but it doesn't bother me that much.

Hi,
In defense of CCOT, I've dealt with some very nice people that were also knowledgeable. I'm not affiliated with them but have had a really good experience none the less.

I've used CCOT FJ40 brake hydraulics in the past, and while the parts initially were ok after a few years problems arose. The master cylinder gave out as did the wheel cylinders. The price may be good but do you want to go through this again in a few years?

Just my opinion, but I'm not crazy about the few things I've bought from CCoT. I'm sure these brake cylinders are cheap Taiwanese parts like most of the substitute parts they sell. I believe OEM brake cylinders are about $30-$35 from Cruiserdan, which to me, is a much better bargin. I do not for a minute believe that CCoT brake cylinders will last the 25-30 years the OEM cylinders did. I would at least call Dan, and get his price-you might be pleasantly suprised.

Cruiserdrew said:
Just my opinion, but I'm not crazy about the few things I've bought from CCoT.

that is why i ask :frown:
i have, in the past delt with them ALOT.......i was not pleased with very much.
i would like oem cylinders, however they are 50ish(pretty sure that's dan's price) bucks a pop. right NOW i need one, should do both on that side and i'd like to do all four, but current funding will not premit that, short of doing one every few weeks. nothing beats doing the same job four weeks in a row.
the one leaking now needs done before the snow hits.

dgangle said: ... but the problem was they apparently had them mislabled as to their location on the truck.

I had a similar experience. Plus, one of the 8 cylinders I bought was defective. Basically, it sprayed hydraulic fluid past the piston and out the bore. CCoT replaced it--the only hassle was that they questioned my intelligence and abilities because they found no failure with the unit. They must not have looked very hard... But as to the non-defective 7 plus the replacement, 4 are still in action and performing flawlessly. The other 4 probably would be too, but for my front disc brake conversion.

Another experience I had with CCoT hydraulics: CCoT provided a brake M/C with an incorrect bore diameter. It was too small. The result was that it took an extra pump to seat the brake shoes, but once seated the pedal was hard as a rock.

Note- my 40 is a July '75 and has some funky OEM part combinations here and there, so maybe this wasn't CCoT's fault. However, I doubt it, since I purchased OEM from the dealer and it worked just fine

Go with OEM !

i bought all 8 from CCOT and installed them on my 2/75 fj40 in 2000
Two in front (one left one right) sprung a leak in 2003. Instead of replace, i did a disc conversion which wasn't a whole lot more expensive than replacing the 4 front cylinders.

Three rear cylinders are still OK, one is frozen.

The original OEM cylinders (from 1975) were the ones I replaced; they seemed to last a little longer than CCOT's.
Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom