CCOT Voltage Regulator produces 15volts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
theshealys.com
I know this has been discused before but all I can find is good is 13.8- 14 something. Ok here is the story. My electical system is running great on my stock 2F at perfect 13.8 volts and amps look good on the gauge. The stock voltage regulater looks pretty bad with corrosion but works. I bought a voltage regualtor from CCOT (which has no return on electrical parts), installed it and 14.98 volts. Turned the lights on, and it goes slightly over 15 volts. Put the stock regulator back in and back down to 13.8 volts.

I emailed CCOT yesterday and told them my story, and asked them was it adjustable. I was called at lunch time by CCOT and he told me that 15 amps is good. He kept telling me amps when he should have said volts everytime. :mad: I even corrected him a few times with no sucsuess. He told me I should not worry unless it was like 20 "Amps". He said a little high is good.

The real question is: Is 15volts to high? Is CCOT :censor: up?

I think the normal range is 13.8 - 14.4 volts. If I recall correctly, over 15 Volts and you start to run the risk of over-charging your battery, which could cause it to boil/blowup/etc (ie - something bad can happen). Don't know if "over" 15 volts means 15.1 or 15.5 though...

How are you measuring voltage? Is it with an accurate voltmeter?

lovetoski said:
I think the normal range is 13.8 - 14.4 volts. If I recall correctly, over 15 Volts and you start to run the risk of over-charging your battery, which could cause it to boil/blowup/etc (ie - something bad can happen). Don't know if "over" 15 volts means 15.1 or 15.5 though...

How are you measuring voltage? Is it with an accurate voltmeter?

It never got over 15.1 volts and it is an accurate digital multimeter.

In my experience the aftermarket regulators are pretty crappy. I'm not sure what CCOT uses, but I've had bad luck with aftermarket parts store versions. You might try getting one from Toyota. Or there's a link in the Tech Links for a solid state regulator that is pretty easy to install.

You could also try adjusting the regulator if you're feeling adventurous...

fj40Matt said:
In my experience the aftermarket regulators are pretty crappy. I'm not sure what CCOT uses, but I've had bad luck with aftermarket parts store versions. You might try getting one from Toyota. Or there's a link in the Tech Links for a solid state regulator that is pretty easy to install.

You could also try adjusting the regulator if you're feeling adventurous...

Yes I was dumb buying if from CCOT. I don't think I can adjust it. It doesn't look the same as the factory one. It looks like a resister with a screw threw it, so i might try playing with it. What have I got to lose, i've all readly lost my money.

It doesn't have the removable black cover? The aftermarket ones I had were similar in design to the OE regulator.

BTW, I've never adjusted one myself. Hopefully you've got a factroy manual there as a guide, because I'll be no help.

fj40Matt said:
It doesn't have the removable black cover? The aftermarket ones I had were similar in design to the OE regulator.

BTW, I've never adjusted one myself. Hopefully you've got a factroy manual there as a guide, because I'll be no help.

I thought on the stock one you adjusted it by rotating the spool that is on the side that mounts to the firewall. It adjust on the inside? It is the same shape just the spool is a resister looking like thing. Maybe I should look at the haynes manual.

new OEM regs from Toyota are really cheap, like under $20, never had a problem with any of the OEM ones I have used.

they(at least the early ones) can be adjusted from the inside, its like adjusting points.

Landpimp said:
new OEM regs from Toyota are really cheap, like under $20, never had a problem with any of the OEM ones I have used.
QUOTE]

Are they new or remanufactured? Either way you get a Toyota regulator for about the same price as the CCOT.

I've also had some problems with the CCOT regulators. When the original went out after about 20 years I went the CCOT route. This regulator lasted a little over a year. I have a second CCOT regulator in at the moment, but I also have a Toyota unit in the glove box for when the 2nd CCOT unit dies.

The repercussions from poor voltage regulation are significant...and a good OEM voltage regulator is cheap. Just get an OEM Toyota one, and don't look back.

The ones from Toyota are remans, but the one I have works great and cost about $14. I tried an aftermarket one from SOR first and it didn't work right out of the box. Generally aftermarket stuff from CCoT is not worth having, in my opinion.

Your first mistake was buying something from CCOT, the next was trying to get customer service. Hard to get good Taiwan parts...........15V is too much it will cook your battery.

ranger said:
Your first mistake was buying something from CCOT, the next was trying to get customer service. Hard to get good Taiwan parts...........15V is too much it will cook your battery.

Yeah I knew it was to high, and that guy telling me a little high was good. I knew it was a load of crap. I'll ask toyota when I when I go to pick up my new oe regulator. Then i'll tell the custemer service of CCOT what they said, and tell them don't worry about it cause this won't happen again. :flipoff2:

another nice thing about OEM Toyota parts, they all have a 1 year warantee........which I have only used 1-2 times(hood latch and 1 other thing)......in 10 years and 1000's of OEM parts.

ranger said:

The first few orders I made with CCOT I was very happy with. But the last few times I have called there I have been unimpressed with the knowledge of the salespeople I have spoken with. And all the aftermarket lights and electrical stuff I have gotten from them has been pretty low quality. You get what you pay for. I have now learned to buy OE the first time. I recently placed an order with Specter (I've never had bad luck with them) because CCOT would not sell me tire carrier bushings. The guy said they don't ever have them. C'mon they restore cruisers and the never have to replace the tire carrier bushings? Right! So CCOT lost out on a few hundred bucks over a $10 item. They had everything else I wanted. And a little cheaper than SOR too.

I had problems with my OEM regulator on a BJ42 a had a while back. Checked with the dealership and found out they didn't have the regulator for mine.
My friendly electrical mechanic offered to replace the bad regulator with an electronic one made by transpo. He put a Transpo F540 made for ford (http://www.transpo.de/Catalog/Browse.htm) and as far as I know it still works like a champ on that bj42. From what I have learned from then, you basically need Field, Ignition and ground. That one he installed had an option to connect a warning light (like newer cars have) but I had no where to put it.

i hope this helps! :)

15 is on the high side, but not by a lot. You will boil the water out of the battery if it gets too high. It's not going to blow up. 15 might never do anything to a sealed battery. Spec for a 2F engine is 13.8 to 14.8.
If the regulator is solid state it is not adjustable. If it has moving parts it might be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom