CCOT tailgate not fitting properly (pics) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The tub on this rig is original with zero rust and no bondo work.
are you really really sure?....cause the one pic you show of the side shows that there are no spot welds visible on either the quarters on the hardtop....and that's a really good indication that some work has been done.

are you really really sure?....cause the one pic you show of the side shows that there are no spot welds visible on either the quarters on the hardtop....and that's a really good indication that some work has been done.
About 95% sure. Spot welds are there you just can’t see them in that shot.

Can see a few of them on this side.

3C804F3F-2CF6-4FF0-97E7-747FA1BA0538.jpeg

Just a hair too big... top and bottom same measurement.

CAD04003-6733-4141-B141-D596B27C3624.jpeg

Leaving for a few days but located and snapped a picture of the one that was on my 79. Had a 77 hard top and doors on it and switched to ambulance doors off a 84. Opening width is the same 1/75-12/78 and 1/79-3/83 in the US market.

My panel is right at 41 3/16" as well.
View attachment 2677573
This panel your measuring is a CCOT one?

This panel your measuring is a CCOT one?

I have no idea of who made this panel. It was on the 79 when my friend bought it 1993. Even if it was one of CCOT's panels designer could change in close to thirty years at least. Have no idea when the top and doors were removed on it. They were gone by 1993. This is a US import which was delivered with a top and doors.

I'm really happy with my Aqualu tailgate with locking storage on my 1978 aluminum buiild.

My CCOT tub was off by 1/2" (wide) in a few areas, so I wouldn't rule out manufacturing issues - their QC left a bit to be desired, frankly. (Shop guys were nice, but owner wasn't too helpful either. 🤔 )

For what it's worth, my rear door opening is 41 3/4" at the lip on the outer sheet metal.

View attachment 2677500
Glad you weighed in. They screwed you over on that tub.

Just a thought: I made a tailgate panel from plywood, and attached it to the truck using the lower ambulance door hinges (atop the plywood, outside of the plywood). I painted the plywood with OEM paint to match the truck. I screwed the license plate holder to it, and when mostly hidden by the spare tire, this wood panel doesn't look terribly cheesy or homemade. I only use it a couple weeks per year, so it doesn't have to be stout or world-class.

Went to install the CCOT tailgate this afternoon and it’s larger than the opening by about 1/4”. There’s no way to make it fit without forcing it and I’m not sure that would even work. In the pic the other side of the tailgate is pressed up against the inner lip.

The tub on this rig is original with zero rust and no bondo work. Has anybody run into this? Yes, I’ve reached out to CCOT already.

View attachment 2677251

View attachment 2677252
Where did you find this on CCOT's website? Can't find one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom