CBI - POOR Experience - Thoughts? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wondering of others experiences with CBI Off Road. I ordered a rear bumper December 2020 and was prepared for the 12+ week lead time. After 14 weeks I called to inquire as I had not heard from them and had not yet received shipping information. I provided the order number and was put on hold. A few minutes later I was advised "I need to get an answer on this bumper, there was a meeting last week about this and I have to get some information, can I call you back in an hour?" I asked him if this is why the bumper is no longer listed on their website? The answer was much the same, I have to get some info and call you back, he apologized and we hung up.

No call came within an hour, in fact it took several hours, like early evening. I was advised by the same person "I have bad news were going to have to refund your purchase." I asked why and what had happened that I had to call to inquire and that the long wait to be refunded was a big disappointment. I also asked why it was pulled from their site. I was told "the bumper you ordered has been found to have a manufacturing defect and it has to be redesigned." I was stumped as they still keep popping up on Ed Martin Toyota LC builds.

There was no mention of the ditch light brackets, which were part of the order.

I really have not idea how to feel about this transaction or company at this point. The bumper was needed as I installed a 40gal LRA tank for towing and travel and would REALLY like the tire out of the cargo area before next month. They had what seemed to me to be a solid base of happy customers. The refund followed faster than the return call.

Disappointing for sure!!!

That really sucks. CBI has a track record of announcing 200 series product that never ship. The did a bunch of work on the expedition overland 200 series, the mawlr LX including LX sliders and bumpers, and most recently the J201 LX concept that I believe Kurt and XO crew had a hand in. I've looked at the rear bumper and noticed it has been added and removed from their site a couple of times now.

Reactions: BVE
I'd say they have a reputation for making high quality products that look and work good. (which is likely why you went with them). It didn't work in your favor in this case, and they did refund you.

I'd much rather have a refund than a product they didn't feel 100% about.

High demand and supply issues caused by covid also plays a role. I'd give them the benefit of the doubt more than post #1

I'd say they have a reputation for making high quality products that look and work good. (which is likely why you went with them). It didn't work in your favor in this case, and they did refund you.

High demand and supply issues caused by covid also plays a role. I'd give them the benefit of the doubt more than post #1
Thats what I am hoping here. Ive only had the 200 for about a year and have slowly modded along the way. Had the first lengthy family trip with wife and kiddo planned for June in and around Utah for a week of it. I REALLY needed the tire out and did not want to buy the receiver hitch device. I see there is not much left there for the 200 on CBI anyways. No reason to dwell too much, but having to find out so far along was either a perfect storm or just circumstance. Although I will likely never know exactly why this occurred it just sucks. Its one of those more significant expenses that was so ANTICIPATED only to have a HUGE let down. Then choosing another leaves me with a similar 14-16 or more weeks of waiting, only the thrill will be a bit overshadowed now.

Hell it could just be bad luck or I need to prepare for ALOT of waiting. The LRA tank was weeks longer than expected (Surely COVID on that one, so comes with the territory).

Thanks

I know the customer service guy was in a bad place. I never see a purpose on chewing people out in general and he was not the cause. They did refund very quickly and that is something to respect. I can only hope the order was not disregarded for demand elsewhere..... that would suck. More of a HUGE disappointment after eagerly waiting so long.

Thanks

I will say the ditch light brackets are trash. Yea they work but you have to cut the plastic or notch the metal. and it took them 3 tries till I got the right set. I'm honestly not that impressed by that company.

I asked them about 200 series bumpers just two days ago because I like their front bumper. They told me they won’t be making them anymore for the 200 with no plans to bring them back.

I'm sure it was disappointing.

Some folks here have come up with clever ways to strap down a spare in the cargo area. I don't know if I'd love it for the volume it eats up or the smell of rubber in the cabin, but it may be an alternative for your big trip. You might also be able to strap it on a roof mounted rack? You could just roll without a spare and be prepared to pay to have yours shipped to you, or pick up something local if you need it - unless you are hardcore off roading, what're the odds you'll actually need a spare (I can't remember the last time I needed one). Also, could you put your spare on or in whatever you're towing (camper)?

Much less than ideal, but lots of ways to skin this cat.

I know if you were in my area and needed a spare in a pinch, I'd hook you up with one of my wheels. You might find other like minded 'mudders willing to do the same.

I will say the ditch light brackets are trash. Yea they work but you have to cut the plastic or notch the metal. and it took them 3 tries till I got the right set. I'm honestly not that impressed by that company.
Good to know, Ill consider that off the list. I was debating between those and just overhead LED lamps on the Front Runner. I found the lights I am going to use and will have two side facing the ground and perhaps two off the angle of the front of the rack on custom brackets. Ill see what it looks like when its all fab'd up. This helped that decision making. thanks

That really sucks. CBI has a track record of announcing 200 series product that never ship. The did a bunch of work on the expedition overland 200 series, the mawlr LX including LX sliders and bumpers, and most recently the J201 LX concept that I believe Kurt and XO crew had a hand in. I've looked at the rear bumper and noticed it has been added and removed from their site a couple of times now.
Thats what makes me wonder, on and off site, is there another reason. Ohh well.

I asked them about 200 series bumpers just two days ago because I like their front bumper. They told me they won’t be making them anymore for the 200 with no plans to bring them back.
This is what I thought was most likely the circumstances. Damn, that means they hung on to the funds for nearly 4 months only to disregard and not fill the order. A whole different thing than what I was told. I had specifically asked if they stopped making them due to the 2021 being the last US model. I was told, no, there was going to be a redesign and they would have a fix and begin manufacturing, but it would be "like a year". Ive seen they are heavy into other Toyota platforms. If they would have just said: due to the platform cancellation and expanding markets with other lines we tasked our machines to make more of.......XXXX. I would understand that, still be disappointed for the wait and cancellation, but I would understand the business aspect. Sucks more if it was a LIE because they just wasted my time and I could have ordered with a competitor.

I'm sure it was disappointing.

Some folks here have come up with clever ways to strap down a spare in the cargo area. I don't know if I'd love it for the volume it eats up or the smell of rubber in the cabin, but it may be an alternative for your big trip. You might also be able to strap it on a roof mounted rack? You could just roll without a spare and be prepared to pay to have yours shipped to you, or pick up something local if you need it - unless you are hardcore off roading, what're the odds you'll actually need a spare (I can't remember the last time I needed one). Also, could you put your spare on or in whatever you're towing (camper)?

Much less than ideal, but lots of ways to skin this cat.

I know if you were in my area and needed a spare in a pinch, I'd hook you up with one of my wheels. You might find other like minded 'mudders willing to do the same.
No hard core off-roading planned, and not trailer. Cargo space was the need, however I ordered two Pelican Cases and will have the family pack into one of those and roof mount it. I had the tire on the Front-runner for the longest time and had to avoid city travel into parking garages. Unfortunately for my business I travel to Houston, Dallas, sometimes Austin if I absolutely cannot avoid it, and parking garages are a necessary evil. The other ride is a 2500 Diesel so its rare the LC is the "smaller" vehicle.

I cannot see going without a spare. There is a great deal of construction in and around my area and I have had 2 impaling events with the pickup of a tire in the last year. A nail and a putty knife.....
I see the wisdom of reaching out for a spare but my kiddo has some physical limitations with muscular dystrophy so being stuck on some BLM trail does not seem wise and I would never hear the end of it from my wife. I can hear the story years later......lol. But yeah, I would do the same, I loaned out a wheel years ago with the pickup and it was an experience that was rewarding in the end.

Sorry to hear about your experience man. I'm in Idaho Falls and have dealt with CBI. They're only like 15 minutes from my house. I have worked with both CBI Offroad and their bike shop (in the same facility). All my experiences have been positive. The guys in the bike shop are great and support our local cycling community, including our NICA program. They refreshed the suspension on our 200 and did great work. I'm sorry your experience hasn't been positive. I always work with Kenny and he's always been super helpful, even when I'm just looking for advice. Anyway, hope you get your situation sorted. Cheers.

I'm not surprised. Wish I was, but it's consistent with how my personal experience (brief) with CBI went, way back in the halycon days of 2018. In the OPs case, even if they are discontinuing the product, if they took a deposit and put it on the build schedule, they should make the product. If they are canceling due to product issues, they should be all over informing the customer, refunding proactively etc. The fact the OP had to push for status is ridiculous. CBI knew this was on their build schedule, took deposit/payment, and has the wherewithall to see the impacts of decisions they make re: deliveries and inform the affected parties.

If you're not a marketing $ commission they don't have time for the 200.

Wondering of others experiences with CBI Off Road. I ordered a rear bumper December 2020 and was prepared for the 12+ week lead time. After 14 weeks I called to inquire as I had not heard from them and had not yet received shipping information. I provided the order number and was put on hold. A few minutes later I was advised "I need to get an answer on this bumper, there was a meeting last week about this and I have to get some information, can I call you back in an hour?" I asked him if this is why the bumper is no longer listed on their website? The answer was much the same, I have to get some info and call you back, he apologized and we hung up.

No call came within an hour, in fact it took several hours, like early evening. I was advised by the same person "I have bad news were going to have to refund your purchase." I asked why and what had happened that I had to call to inquire and that the long wait to be refunded was a big disappointment. I also asked why it was pulled from their site. I was told "the bumper you ordered has been found to have a manufacturing defect and it has to be redesigned." I was stumped as they still keep popping up on Ed Martin Toyota LC builds.

There was no mention of the ditch light brackets, which were part of the order.

I really have not idea how to feel about this transaction or company at this point. The bumper was needed as I installed a 40gal LRA tank for towing and travel and would REALLY like the tire out of the cargo area before next month. They had what seemed to me to be a solid base of happy customers. The refund followed faster than the return call.

Disappointing for sure!!!

I rode a VERY similar merry-go-round with them a number of years back...when I was planning my own 200 series bumper choices.

Went in circles with talk of design and fabrication, etc. Up-coming this and that. I finally left with the impression they were not very serious about what they were telling me.

Some folks have been happy with CBI and I have no doubt there are happy customers...but I won’t be going there again.

Last edited:
I rode a VERY similar merry-go-round with them a number of years back...when I was planning my own 200 series bumper choices.

Went in circles with talk of design and fabrication, etc. Up-coming this and that. I finally left with the impression they were not very serious about what they were telling me.

Some folks have been happy with CBI and I have no doubt there are happy customers...but I won’t be going there again.
That is going to be my choice as well. I operate my own business and keeping customers in the know has always served me best. When we fail I get in front of it and make it right. I am not much of a grudge type of person but I do not return where my time is wasted. Life is too short. I did a lot of looking at various sights and customer experiences and overall they seemed well. It seems if you in a platform they are heavily supporting youll be in better shape. Guess the 200 is in the rearview for them now.

I'm not surprised. Wish I was, but it's consistent with how my personal experience (brief) with CBI went, way back in the halycon days of 2018. In the OPs case, even if they are discontinuing the product, if they took a deposit and put it on the build schedule, they should make the product. If they are canceling due to product issues, they should be all over informing the customer, refunding proactively etc. The fact the OP had to push for status is ridiculous. CBI knew this was on their build schedule, took deposit/payment, and has the wherewithall to see the impacts of decisions they make re: deliveries and inform the affected parties.

If you're not a marketing $ commission they don't have time for the 200.
I really did not give any thought at the time but if the excuse I was provided was a fault then, yes, I would expect something to be coming out.

**** CBI, their ethics, and their customer service. I reached out to them many times in regards to LX parts and could never get a straight answer or any information at all. Not to mention they stood by some tacoma bro while he and his followers defaced a national park - i think his name was tacomabeast

Always looked at CBI as the broverlander shop for the taco/4runner bros.
Never used any of their products or reach out to them just being a typical person judging from afar. The bumper they did for the XO 200 did look sick though and would've been nice to see produced.

Sad to hear about so many poor experiences.

Glad this topic came up though.

I’ve been researching and considering bumpers, sliders, etc for my ‘17 LX for a while now and have wondered why there isn’t a lot of information on the CBI products in these forums (of course the CBI LX things I’m looking at only came about with the j201 concept).

Reading through these posts, I guess there’s a reason CBI isn’t mentioned often. Beyond the actual products, the way a company does business and interacts with customers is a big part of the purchase decision for me, and I imagine for a lot of 200 owners.

Too bad since that pretty much eliminates one option from an already small list of products geared toward the LX and specifically the 16+ LX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom