Cb Tuning

Anyone have any good links to some good CB antenna tuning instructions. I have my new Uniden 510 XL and 4 ft firestik all installed and mounted. It just needs tuning now. i am going to try and stop by walmart/radioshack tomorrow and pick up a SWR meter as i understand it will help. Thanks.

Brandon

the swr meter should only be about 20 bones, and comes with instructions. can't remember EXACTLY what to do, all i remember is that you may need to cut a bit off your antenna.

Ok, i got my swr meter today and i have been playing with the CB system for about an hour now. Clipping in 1/4" intervals i have taken a total of about 2.5-3 inches of wire off the Firstik. I have gotten the SWR to read 1.4 on channel 1 and yet its at 2.8 on channel 40....Is this good or no? do i need to keep tweaking it?

Thanks.....im a noob with this stuff so i apologize.

Stone

Cruiserhead05 said:
Also, for what its worth. i havent yet grounded it which i guess i should go ahead and do.
FWIW I recently went through a big cafuffle tuning my Wilson antenna in my BJ74. The fiberglass roof was not good for the antenna signal, and I was getting similar readings to yours...great SWR in the lower channels, especially CH 4, but high on the higher channels.

I eventually did ground the antenna to the body, creating a better ground plane...and now my readings are great (between 1.1 to 1.3 on all channels). So if you are having a lot of trouble getting a good SWR, then go ahead and ground it.

set the SWR based on the channel you use most often. Unless you have no preference then use 19 or 20.

that should get the swr set the most evenly for all channels

OK it was all working good and have a good reading for channels 20 and below. i tried grounding it to see if i could clear up some static and figured it couldnt hurt....now my readings have all gone to crap and every channel has a super high reading...way over 3....

What to do.

Well i played around with it a little this morning. its gotten alot better and probably good enough across the board to the point where it wont harm the CB. MY only last question is that i can here static from the actual vehicle. i can here the tranny switch and the RPM's through the CB.....is this right?

corbs

Your Firestik wasn't a tunable antennae? Mine had an adjuster on the tip. Also I don't know how much of a difference it makes but where is the "extra" coax cable and is it loose or rolled/wound together?

The engine noise might be caused by a poor ground for the cb itself...

honk

For the ignition noise you need to use resistor sparkplugs and an RF (mans "radio frequency") filter. The filter is likely at the shack.

None of this is rocket science. Relax.

Corbs..mine doesnt have the adjuster on the tip. Thats my fault though, i should have picked up one like yours...my readings are fine now and it works good its just a matter of cutting down on this horrible static. the Coax is rolled up under the mat in the cargo area, i will address that immediately and check out my ground for the cb itself.

Thanks.
Brandon

Ok. i checked the ground. not the problem, its fine. i fixed the coiled up coax in the back. not the problem. I noticed if turn the CB on with not even the car ignition on its pretty good and clear but even if i turn my ignition on its gets fuzzy and when i start the 80 its goes to crap. Is a RF what i need to fix this?
Thanks.

Honk, by resistor spark plugs....are they really a type of actual spark plug?

Brandon

flintknapper

SILVER Star

honk said:
For the ignition noise you need to use resistor sparkplugs and an RF (mans "radio frequency") filter. The filter is likely at the shack.

None of this is rocket science. Relax.

I needed to add the RF to mine as well. It made a noticable difference.

Also, if you will run your power leads directly to the battery for a "clean" power source...it will help alot.

Glad you got it going.

More power cords are run straight to the battery. maybe i just need to play with my squelch. PLease excuse my whining....im new to CB's. So how exactly does the RF work, i mean where is it installed? in the coax? thanks

flintknapper

SILVER Star

Cruiserhead05 said:
More power cords are run straight to the battery. maybe i just need to play with my squelch. PLease excuse my whining....im new to CB's. So how exactly does the RF work, i mean where is it installed? in the coax? thanks
It goes inline with your hot and ground leads to your CB. Keep your leads as short as possible, run them directly to your battery, and put an RF filter (in the cab) inline with your leads. This should give you the least amount of static, but may not eliminate it all.

Top Bottom