CB Radio mounting and wiring. How to do this without making swiss cheese? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I'd like to mount a very nice Cobra 29 CB with USB and LSB into my Lexus 470. That said I've got a series of questions on how best to go about it without making a complete mess of things. I tried a search of the forum but came up goose-eggs.

I have been noting a change from CB to FRS, but since I've already got the CB it's the way I want to go.

1) Does anyone have some diagrams on where best to route the coax cable? I'm not a fan of drilling too many holes in firewalls without some IP rated means of sealing. I'd like to use an existing port in the cabin if possible. I know I could use a bulkhead connector and can get the proper crimpers for that cable termination (PL-259). Anybody else done that here?

2) Antenna mounting. I'd like to use a fender mount but the gap between the fender and the hood itself is pretty close tolerance and I'm therefore concerned about rubbing through the antenna cable's jacket. What would you guys recommend? I had been thinking of a front bumper mount, once I get up the gumption to buy a winch bumper that doesn't cost an arm and a leg (yeah I'm a tightwad). Where I'm going out to in the Idaho mountains are rife with logging trucks and I need to make sure that I'm on their frequency to let them know I'm there and vice versa.

3) Radio mounting. Where is the best place for radio mounting? I had thought within the center console but I'd have to leave the console open when using the radio. The Cobra 29 is kind of a large radio. I had thought about a remove mount unit that has all the control in the mike, but have heard of durability issues. The radio I have has full USB and LSB (upper and lower sideband) along with full Weather Band. I had also been thinking over a removable mount system where the radio could be mounted to a velcro pad on top of the dashboard and then removed to prevent theft (we've got a problem with meth-heads breaking into cars around here.) I'd run a cigarette lighter power source to the radio and then have the cable connection strung down at the dash/windshield area.

The goal for me is to have a clean, professional installation without me spending my duckets excessively.

Thoughts, experiences, or am I just being OCD about this?

First off, that is a lot of effort for a CB radio. They are pretty poor performers and I dread the runs when that's the comms method of choice. HAM radio is the "end all" when it comes to comms. I'll shamelessly plug my CSC Ham Tech Thread here...

If you are hard set on running a CB, I would suggest picking up a MidLand 75-822 and a firestick (or mag mount, although I really dislike them), this radio avoids nearly all of the issues you noted above... the unit is tiny (the mic and head are one) you don't need to run dedicated power (it runs cig lighter), and you only need to run one coax for the antenna. I can grab some pics if you'd like to see how mine is setup, it hardly gets used unless I have no choice.

That's a pretty slick radio. I know FRS is getting more and more prevalent on the trails, but my biggest concern is the range with FRS. I do have the ability to "run shoes" with a CB though.

I'd love to run HAM, but I haven't had time to get to class for a license.

Gotta be honest with you, 4watts on the Cobra 29 is not going to get you much range. It's going to be super sensitive to SWR. If range is what you are after, you really need to take the plunge into ham. for reference, most mobile ham units will run 50watts

FRS isn't going to be much better. and GMRS is still only ~40 watts, which is better, but you have practically zero repeater support and hardly anyone out there listening. If you flip on your ham and listen on local repeaters, you will always be able to make a contact.

Last edited:
I've got a full SWR meter for antenna tuning and a linear amplifier if needed. I agree with you though, HAM is the way to go for distance. I was going to go with a Yaesu handheld for long distance if I knew where the repeater stations are in an area.

if you'd like to find repeaters, this is a great tool:

I have a handheld FT2D and it receives well, works great around town when repeaters are near, but if it was a standalone unit trying to call for help, it doesn't work that well. It's only got 5 watts, hard to beat a big ant and 50 watts on most mobile ham rigs

I have a Uniden XL which is about the same size. I run power from the battery to supply the cb, the heater and a 2m radio. I use a mag mount antenna and run coax between the door and body to a mag mount antenna on the roof. I am not able to get my cruiser in the garage with anything 2 inches highers than roof line so it gets remove. THe 2m antenna coax goes to teh back, into the hatch to a hatch mount antenna. The cb radio is mountedat the back of th center consol. I look back to see the display. CB sucks and I wish my wheeling buddies would go 2m

I am not telling you to do this and am 100% sure nobody does it but I have heard if you stay off the repeaters you will not have an issue not being licensed.............
Plus, the little Beofang radios on Amazon are cheap as dirt compared to other options.
As far as licensing, you do not need a class. There are some manuals out there that teach to the test and I think some pod casts as well. Just do those and test.

I am not telling you to do this and am 100% sure nobody does it but I have heard if you stay off the repeaters you will not have an issue not being licensed.............
Plus, the little Beofang radios on Amazon are cheap as dirt compared to other options.
As far as licensing, you do not need a class. There are some manuals out there that teach to the test and I think some pod casts as well. Just do those and test.

This one is really good for the test:

Hi all,

I'd like to mount a very nice Cobra 29 CB with USB and LSB into my Lexus 470. That said I've got a series of questions on how best to go about it without making a complete mess of things. I tried a search of the forum but came up goose-eggs.

I have been noting a change from CB to FRS, but since I've already got the CB it's the way I want to go.

1) Does anyone have some diagrams on where best to route the coax cable? I'm not a fan of drilling too many holes in firewalls without some IP rated means of sealing. I'd like to use an existing port in the cabin if possible. I know I could use a bulkhead connector and can get the proper crimpers for that cable termination (PL-259). Anybody else done that here?

2) Antenna mounting. I'd like to use a fender mount but the gap between the fender and the hood itself is pretty close tolerance and I'm therefore concerned about rubbing through the antenna cable's jacket. What would you guys recommend? I had been thinking of a front bumper mount, once I get up the gumption to buy a winch bumper that doesn't cost an arm and a leg (yeah I'm a tightwad). Where I'm going out to in the Idaho mountains are rife with logging trucks and I need to make sure that I'm on their frequency to let them know I'm there and vice versa.

3) Radio mounting. Where is the best place for radio mounting? I had thought within the center console but I'd have to leave the console open when using the radio. The Cobra 29 is kind of a large radio. I had thought about a remove mount unit that has all the control in the mike, but have heard of durability issues. The radio I have has full USB and LSB (upper and lower sideband) along with full Weather Band. I had also been thinking over a removable mount system where the radio could be mounted to a velcro pad on top of the dashboard and then removed to prevent theft (we've got a problem with meth-heads breaking into cars around here.) I'd run a cigarette lighter power source to the radio and then have the cable connection strung down at the dash/windshield area.

The goal for me is to have a clean, professional installation without me spending my duckets excessively.

Thoughts, experiences, or am I just being OCD about this?

Maybe consider information at these links ….

Car Consoles & 4WD Storage Drawers - Department of the Interior - overhead consoles, roof consoles, custom built consoles, 4WD interiors, storage systems, vehicle consoles, radio console, dashboard pod, four wheel drive.

and

HAM or CB radio mounting location
using existing grommets for cable routes.

Suggest be OCD about the antenna type and antenna location – rooftop gives best radio performance but most people don’t want a hole in the roof panel! Bullbar often is used but higher is better. Edge of bonnet at least gives some ground plane effect. Also suggest look at a few websites to study antenna types and antenna gain etc. – for example -- Antenna Gains Explained | AutoElec

@WoofWagon Be advised the hood-fender mounts limit you to pretty thin and light antennas. I had a firestick and ruined the mount and started digging into the paint.

I ran an antenna on the rear swingout and put on a quick disconnect from Firestik. That worked very well. I could run the obnoxious 6' antenna when I needed to and take it off entirely when I wasn't running a trail.

Started out with a Midland (see above).
Ran the antenna through the PS firewall boot to a fender mount - easy peasy.
Inside it was under the carpet up through the right side of the center console.
Reception was not much if any better than an antenna on the radio.
But when I attached a Baofeng to it - definitely a game changer.
See Cheap Ham Install.
Now running a Kenwood located in the rear PS fender just a little above and in front of the wheel well.
Best of all.

Started out with a Midland (see above).
Ran the antenna through the PS firewall boot to a fender mount - easy peasy.
Inside it was under the carpet up through the right side of the center console.
Reception was not much if any better than an antenna on the radio.
But when I attached a Baofeng to it - definitely a game changer.
See Cheap Ham Install.
Now running a Kenwood located in the rear PS fender just a little above and in front of the wheel well.
Best of all.

Agree with @suprarx7nut – the typical “Z” mounts are only seen with very lightweight low dBi whips for the reasons explained. See other useful information at

CB antennas and RV's -- ©1997 FIRESTIK® AMTENNA

Untitled Document

CATALOG Main Page (Frame Setup)

In my part of the world “CB” involves a “Class Licence” which can be used by anyone -- no registration, no fees, only with permitted equipment -- and applies to ….

HF – 26.965 MHz to 27.405 MHz (inclusive)
UHF – 476.4125 to 477.4125 MHz (inclusive) -- 5 watts max, up to 80 channels, most common.

The tendency is to use a low gain antenna in mountain country and a higher gain antenna in more open, flat country for reasons explained here -- https://www.gme.net.au/au/news/understanding-antenna-gain-and-dbi/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom