CB radio in dash install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Installed a Cobra 18WXSTII citizen band radio in the dash of my '93 FZJ80.

Putting the CB in the DIN slot below my CD player was generally straight forward with a few exceptions:

1. The CB doesn't have the typical selection of side mounting holes you find on CD players. I actually ended up using the threaded knobs that are usually used to mount the CB to the supplied bracket. The CB did (barely) fit in the DIN slot with the knobs.

2. The 18WXSTII is DIN-sized, but very deep. There is NO WAY to get it anywhere near flush with the front of the dash without using a 90-degree coax connector on the rear of the radio. I did battle with the SOB for hours before finally heading to the store for the connector. After that, it worked out well.

Radio%20in%20dash.jpg

The 18WXSTII is nice because it has a front-firing speaker. No need to rewire or add any other speakers.

I mounted a 3-foot Wilson "Silver Load" FGT fiberglass CB antenna on the upper mount on my Slee rear bumper. I also used a Firestick "Push 'n' Twist" Quick Disconnect external locking mount.
For coax I ran 18 feet of Wilson "Super" Mini 8 with FME & connector.

Antenna%20wiring.jpg

Antenna.jpg

The antenna install was very straight-forward. Running the coax was another story.
The coax runs down between the bumper and the body at the PS rear corner, then up through a rubber grommet and behind the interior rear cargo panel. Forward behind interior panels and down through the rear door-jam channel.
At this point I had to consider the total length of the run.
18 feet is a standard CB coax length, and you can't just run any old length (the coax is really part of the antenna). Rather than along the front PS door-jam and across to the dash, I had to fish the coax under the PS seat and into the center shifter console, then into the dash. Even then, THERE WAS NOT EVEN 1/4 INCH TO SPARE. Between cable-length issues and the deep radio, I lost track of the colorful language yelled at the dash, and absolutely trashed my hands.
In the end though, it all worked out, and I'm getting great reception. Haven't really had much of a chance to transmit to anyone.

The Firestick quick disconnect is really great. It is very robust, and it literally takes 1 second to attach/detach the antenna.

I look forward to talking trash over my CB at Cruise Moab. :flipoff2:

Hayes

I did the same basic install however I wired the aux speaker plug to the two front firing tweeters in the front dash. I clipped the caps off of the speakers to help with the low freq response and it's great having them instead of the factory CB speaker.

I did the same basic install however I wired the aux speaker plug to the two front firing tweeters in the front dash. I clipped the caps off of the speakers to help with the low freq response and it's great having them instead of the factory CB speaker.

hey, that's smart. The speakers are already there, too, right? Unless a PO removed them, I mean.

I just put in a new head unit and had the 90 degree for the install of my Midland CB but the CB stuck out 2 1/2 inches from the dash so no go on that. Now I have mor storage with the plastic storage unit that Crutchfield sends with the head unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom