CB Electrical Question

Onur

Retired LC Parts Professional
GOLD Star

Hey All:

Mounting my Radio Shack CB here (TRC-503), and I have a question regarding the electrical connection.

I know the black wire is to be ground on the vehicle chassis. No worries there.

The red wire (has an in-line fuse holder) has to be mounted to a position on the rig's fuse block that has power only when the ignition is in the ACC or ON positions.

Where would that be on an FZJ80?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best.
-onur
Akron, OH

Onur

GOLD Star

MoJ said:
Radio, clock, etc.
How would I connect them to those points? Splice the red wire in?

Sorry for the dumbass questions, but I am a complete moron when electrical stuff comes up. I generally take it to someone to have it done, but I am trying to do all the upcoming electical stuff myself and it sucks!

Thanks Moj

There are fancy ways to do it, but I usually take the lo-fi route when it's low power stuff like this. Strip the wire about 1/8th to 1/4th of an inch, pull out the blade type fuse and push the wire back in with one of the blades when re-inserting said fuse.

I've done it with a few things and have never had a problem. I'm sure there are purists who'd scream over that one, but oh well...

rusty_tlc

Dain Bramaged Member

Wherever you connect get a good pair of crimpers and decent crimp connectors. If you are planning on doing your own electrical it will be well worth the investment. DO NOT use the cheap crimper/stripper/boltcutters that come in the assortment kits. Klein makes the best type
klien.jpg

Cube Dweller

Beno, I have the same CB in my runner. I ran the red(hot) lead to the battery directly. It was useful on the last trail run when some guys got stuck out on the trail and we were in camp. I had the ignition off but was still monitoring the radio traffic.

Plus as 4Hummer said, you should get less interference...

Onur

GOLD Star

sactocruiser said:
Beno, I have the same CB in my runner. I ran the red(hot) lead to the battery directly. It was useful on the last trail run when some guys got stuck out on the trail and we were in camp. I had the ignition off but was still monitoring the radio traffic.

Plus as 4Hummer said, you should get less interference...
Cool that seems easy enough...straight to the battery=less interference. I can live with that indeed.

So, does the red (hot) wire go to the negative or the positive terminal? Don't want to blow anything up....

Thanks again all.
Best.
-onur
Akron, OH

Last edited:

honk

beno said:
Cool that seems easy enough...straight to the battery=less interference. I can live with that indeed.

So, does the red (hot) wire go to the negative or the positive terminal? Don't want to blow anything up....

Thanks again all.
Best.
-onur
Akron, OH
The red one goes to the positive terminal. You already knew that the black is ground. Might think about a circuit breaker in the red line, but at least leave the fuse in the wire,

Onur

GOLD Star

honk said:
The red one goes to the positive terminal. You already knew that the black is ground. Might think about a circuit breaker in the red line, but at least leave the fuse in the wire,
Thanks Honk.

I'll get on this tomorrow. It'll be nice to have some communications available to me.

Best.
-onur
Akron, OH

MoJ

Onur -
Just to second Honk, if you wire the power (red) lead directly to the battery make sure you install an inline fuse of some sort as close to the battery as possible. Otherwise you have a potential fire hazard. An in-line fuse close to the battery is effective however a lot of folks will choose to add a secondary fuse block close to the battery and then add on accesories from that. There's a pretty good thread out there, maybe a ROTW that show a nice setup. Tried to find it for you but...

Onur

GOLD Star

MoJ said:
Onur -
Just to second Honk, if you wire the power (red) lead directly to the battery make sure you install an inline fuse of some sort as close to the battery as possible. Otherwise you have a potential fire hazard. An in-line fuse close to the battery is effective however a lot of folks will choose to add a secondary fuse block close to the battery and then add on accesories from that. There's a pretty good thread out there, maybe a ROTW that show a nice setup. Tried to find it for you but...

Thanks Jason.

The CB already has an in line fuse on the red (hot) wire; should I add another one too?

Thanks again.
-onur

Just be sure not to hook the red wire up to the battery post/terminal untill you have the black wire grounded and the red wire is hooked to the CB. Or....you can pull out the fuse and seperate the two ends while you hook up the wire to the battery and then put the fuse back in and connect.

IE: once red wire is hooked to battery it is HOT all the time.

rusty_tlc

Dain Bramaged Member

Never power up your CB without an antenna connected. Didn't think to mention that before.

Onur

GOLD Star

Barnyard said:
Just be sure not to hook the red wire up to the battery post/terminal untill you have the black wire grounded and the red wire is hooked to the CB. Or....you can pull out the fuse and seperate the two ends while you hook up the wire to the battery and then put the fuse back in and connect.

IE: once red wire is hooked to battery it is HOT all the time.
Copy that...thanks! :cheers:

Onur

GOLD Star

rusty_tlc said:
Never power up your CB without an antenna connected. Didn't think to mention that before.
Yup..the antenna is connected to it right now, and it is basically sitting underneath my stereo in the dash waiting for the final hookup. Hopefully after work today.

Thanks again.
-onur

CruisinGA

I used a 3M scotchlok splice connector and spliced it into the Cig lighter wire.

It is ign. only and very close to my CB.

PKP80

DO NOT PICK THE RADIO, I am currently trying to find the time to UNDO my tapping into the radio power because when the cb is tapped into that line it means that the radio MUST be on when using your CB and you don't want that (especially if you have an after market radio).

Sam

Top Bottom