CB Coax question with PICS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.phipsi.net
My Coax cable is bent to pretty much 90 degrees I haven't set my SWR, but was wondering if it is a problem to have such a bend in the coax (I'll assume so, but hope not). I need to find a coax that has a connecting end that is not as long as this one (bought from Radio Shack). Thank you for the help in advance.

Sam

Last edited:
It's not advisable, but it should only be a problem if the center conductor breaks or makes contact with the shielding braid. I don't know exactly why you have it bent at that angle (can't tell too well in the photo), but there are 90 degree adapters available (Radio Shack is one place that should have them).

What part of the truck is that cable sticking through in the photo? What model truck (the 80 series in your avatar)?

HTH.
Todd Bull.

Were those holes made by angry beavers?

The 90 deg. bracket is having the same problem fitting altough I have not given it the hands on attempt.

Holes were made by a very angry beaver

If the center conductor is stranded, you will have better luck than solid core. Most cheap coax cables are solid. Buy a male coupler and a dang elbow for it.

Check the cable with an ohm meter. You can get an intermittant short dong that, that will drive you crazy

I wouldn't recommend either, but probably the best bet is the 90deg adaptor. They do very much change your impedance and your SWR may be artificially high/low because the elbow. Then again, a good bend in the coax will do much the same thing only less but is super prone to break, etc.

Nothing you can do to keep a wider bend? Where are those pictures taken, in the headliner?

Sam,

Where is the picture taken inside the vehicle?

You might as well cut the connector off and reterminate. A bend that great in any type of coax renders the wire useless. I would bet that the center conductor is about to break and you have broken a bunch of shields. Find a 90 degree connector to install. They can be found at any Radio Shack.

alia176 said:
Sam,

Where is the picture taken inside the vehicle?

location will be revealed once the install is proper and done. YOu will appreciate it (80 series).

WHen I loop it the wire seems to pinch in another location. I'm going to try and loop it in a larger fashion and see if it works/helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom