CB Antenna mount (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Where are you guys mounting your antennas? Let see some pics!

Thanks,
Carl

Lots of places... Personally the one I like most is the one @reevesci makes which is a copy (I think) of WagonGears mount.

Lots of places... Personally the one I like most is the one @reevesci makes which is a copy (I think) of WagonGears mount.
This is the "purist" and cleanest placement. Or....drill a hole somewhere one might like to see the cb antenna.

I'll put it on my ARB bull bar... ensuring it is correctly grounded.

I also have a full length roof rack (obviously not shown on picture). I would not hesitate to install my antenna on it if I did not have a bull bar. I hate to think about making hole in my body!

IMG_0512.JPG

Interesting about the ground. Did you have to run a separate ground? Wasn't the metal bull bar to chassis enough?

Great looking rig BTW!

I'll put it on my ARB bull bar... ensuring it is correctly grounded.

I also have a full length roof rack (obviously not shown on picture). I would not hesitate to install my antenna on it if I did not have a bull bar. I hate to think about making hole in my body!

View attachment 1199049

Sent from my iPhone

When I first install the CB, I thought it perform well since I used it to talk with people not «too far» from my rig (off road or overlanding situation). Then one of my friends tests my CB with a SWR meter and realizes that it can perform much better if I improved the ground. The bull bar/chassis ground was OK but not optimum. So I run a ground wire from the antenna mount to the frame, next to the place where the battery is grounded. Can’t be happier!

Mine's on the bullbar. Ham radio guru buddy told me to run a piece of copper flashing from the base of the antenna mount to the frame.

WagonGears mount, one 4' FireStick antenna, and a AM/FM/CB splitter - works fantastic.

You can read up the splitter here: 3-WAY (AM/FM/CB) ANTENNA and can get on amazon

2015-01-12.jpg

Was into CB radios for a long time and used my 60. The middle of the roof is the best place to mount the antenna. While this is the best place, it is also impractical and most people don't want to cut a hole in the middle of the roof.

The bull bar / front bumper / read bumper is not a ideal location. My experience is the "fender mount" type stainless mounts are the best compromise. They protrude out of the crack between the fender and the hood. I've run one on the driver's side. Works well, cheap, simple.

However, you have to think about what you are trying to accomplish. If the goal is to talk with the rig in front of you, anything will work. If you are looking for long range communications, there are better solutions (but a CB is always good to have). There are other pieces to the puzzle, such as radio, antenna, etc. HTH.

good stuff guys - thanks!

CB usually (for vehicles) are vertically polarized and need a good ground plane. The more steel under them the better. That being said, roof best, fender next bumpers last. I've actually had good luck with the K40 mag mounts. It's a longer whip but can be removed quickly as the antenna can unlock from the base.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom