Catch can - results after 1,000 miles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hard to imagine metal particulates would make it to CC in vapor, of size the eye would see

A technique used in aircraft engine to inspect oil for metal. Filter oil as it's drained, then inspected filter.

I asked this once, but don't recall if you answered. What oil and filter are you using?

This filter is a Mobil 1 (first time using it on this) but will be going back to Toyota. Oil was 5w-20 Mobil 1 I believe

I got my pair installed over the weekend. I chose two of these little guys, one for each bank: https://amzn.to/3lE18su

qoFJ33U.jpg

On the passenger side I routed this valvecover vent to the can. It goes into the plastic intake tube with no PCV:

tn2leZD.jpg

aLaPCPW.jpg

Ngz1G0F.jpg

Driver's side was simpler routing the PCV to the can and back. Got to use some super awesome orange tubing I got somewhere. I sheathed the first part of the hose to the can in heat tubing (https://amzn.to/3tHQKCU) to try and keep the oil vapor hot and not condensing until it gets to the can (ideally the catch can should be mounted at the same level or slightly lower than the port on the valvecover so that the liquid doesn't drain back to the engine).

eZa7rzW.jpg

iEr2v35.jpg

Will be interesting to see if there is a difference in what they catch on each side.

So about a month ago I installed a cheap catch can on my 04 LX after seeing others complain of oil in the manifold. Knowing most motors can benefit from a catch can I ordered up the best catch can I could find on eBay and got to work. Install was quick and dirty because I wanted to see if this was in fact needed.
View attachment 2609504
Yesterday I finally reached 1,000 miles so I opened it up to find quite a bit of oil.
View attachment 2609506

So after seeing this I feel at least my motor will benefit from a catch can. I’m moving to TN next week so I have cleaned the can out and will be checking it once we arrive. That will be roughly 2100 miles so I’m expecting at least double that amount of oil. Would definitely be interested in seeing others results to get a better feel if it’s just mine or if it’s the 100 motors in general.

Also side note I’m interested in seeing how the oil looks after the trip. Oil in the can looks pretty glittery but my engine oil is clean so I’m guessing the oil catch or hoses I used had s*** in them.
View attachment 2609512
Do you have a breather on the can or is it closed loop?

OCCs have been around quite some time. There is probably factual information, even data, floating around as to why OEMs don't install them at the factory. It could be scientific, it could be cost, it could be perception. It would be nice to dig up and know.
Could be because 99.999999% of owners would let it overflow and have no idea what the hell to do with it.

Could be because 99.999999% of owners would let it overflow and have no idea what the hell to do with it.
Plenty of owners barley know how to put gas in there rigs without posting on here so you’re 100 correct. Some people will never leave the mindset of “if the engineers felt it was necessary they would have installed it from the factory”. This is flawed logic as manufacturers have to comply with certain rules and regulations for emissions, crash ratings, safety standards, etc so their unable to make it “perfect” from the factory.

Pass. Side valve cover gets fresh 1 atm filtered air from the intake to keep the oil chamber to ramina at 1 atm. Its more like a breather into the crank case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom