Catch can - results after 1,000 miles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OP do you leave the pcv valve installed and run the hose from it?
A lighter wallet?

School me gents...what is the net gain of running a catch can on our 2UZ engines?

If you did this early in an engines life it could help long term. Slapping it on an old rig? Idk that I'd bother.

School me gents...what is the net gain of running a catch can on our 2UZ engines?
A small reduction in the volume of oil vapors that get pulled into the intake, so goes the theory.

A very small side benefit might be that it removes fuel and water that would otherwise be in the oil. This has to be proven with lab analysis for each engine, imo. On a 2UZ, I suspect very, very little change to the chemistry of the engine oil. Folks have sent out labs on just the catch can oil *of other engines* and found that there's only a tiny difference in chemistry of what's caught in the can.

But I'd love to be proven wrong with a small set of blackstone data on some 2uz engines. :)

Appears to be a bunch of metallic sediment in it. What is that?

Unsure, could be a dirty China can of metal in the line from where I pulled the hose from aka bucket of bolts. I’ll know more next time I
Looks cooler under the hood?

Mine's gone 250k miles just fine without one
Think of this as a vitamin for your motor. Less oil being sucked into your motor reducing your octane and gumming up your intake manifold. There is ZERO downsides and only ups. Just because you haven’t done it doesn’t mean you shouldn’t, that’s foolish thinking.

Is there any noticeable drop in oil level over 5k intervals- do you need to top up?

Is there any noticeable drop in oil level over 5k intervals- do you need to top up?

Does not affect oil consumption. It is simply catching oil vapor that would have gone into your intake manifold to be burned (as best it can be) in the engine cylinders.

Ahh ok I understand now. Is the objective to help cool down the vapors and condense into liquid form? Does that work?

Does a charcoal filter do something similar?

It simply gives the oil vapor something to cling to as it cools and is less restrictive than some of the filters that come in 'some' oil separators.

A copper 'scrub pad' is what I used...but anything similar will work.
Oil Separator2.jpg

I may have been one of the first to post up picture of the aluminum intake manifold split open. Showing the oil that had collected in the pockets. I wondered how much was from me using sea-foam fogger. Based on what OP posting in just 1K miles in his CC, it must have been just oil!

Interest 2UZ is know for not using oil between changes. In fact sometimes I think level has gone up in 5K miles.:hmm:

01 LX470 day 11 intake manifold 029.JPG

Last edited:
I may have been one of the first to post up picture of the aluminum intake manifold split open. Showing the oil that had collected in the pockets. I wondered how much was from me use sea-foam fogger. Based on what OP posting in just 1K miles in his CC, it must of been just oil!

Interest 2UZ is know for not using oil between changes. If fact sometimes I think level has gone up in 5K miles.:hmm:

View attachment 2610808

Yes, I was just having a conversation with another Forum Member this morning about the 2UZ-FE engine.

It is well known for at least 3 things.

• Longevity (will run for many, many miles)
  • Tend to run on the cool side (often not much more than 190°F-195°F
  • They are easy on oil (don't consume much, don't contaminate/break it down much)

Yes, I was just having a conversation with another Forum Member this morning about the 2UZ-FE engine.

It is well known for at least 3 things.

• Longevity (will run for many, many miles)
  • Tend to run on the cool side (often not much more than 190°F-195°F
  • They are easy on oil (don't consume much, don't contaminate/break it down much)

I'd have to say my 1UZ-FE fits right along with this. 221k on the ticker and I never have to top it up.

My sister, on the other hand, has a 2008 Lexus GS350 in really excellent shape... But it burns quite a bit of oil. The low oil light comes on about once every two months. The 2GR just ain't a UZ.

So about a month ago I installed a cheap catch can on my 04 LX after seeing others complain of oil in the manifold. Knowing most motors can benefit from a catch can I ordered up the best catch can I could find on eBay and got to work. Install was quick and dirty because I wanted to see if this was in fact needed.
View attachment 2609504
Yesterday I finally reached 1,000 miles so I opened it up to find quite a bit of oil.
View attachment 2609506

So after seeing this I feel at least my motor will benefit from a catch can. I’m moving to TN next week so I have cleaned the can out and will be checking it once we arrive. That will be roughly 2100 miles so I’m expecting at least double that amount of oil. Would definitely be interested in seeing others results to get a better feel if it’s just mine or if it’s the 100 motors in general.

Also side note I’m interested in seeing how the oil looks after the trip. Oil in the can looks pretty glittery but my engine oil is clean so I’m guessing the oil catch or hoses I used had s*** in them.
View attachment 2609512
I curious as to what oil brand, type and W oil you use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom