Catch can - results after 1,000 miles (1 Viewer)

So about a month ago I installed a cheap catch can on my 04 LX after seeing others complain of oil in the manifold. Knowing most motors can benefit from a catch can I ordered up the best catch can I could find on eBay and got to work. Install was quick and dirty because I wanted to see if this was in fact needed.
DBB8588A-25E4-4F23-85FE-C79F25D30B7A.jpeg

Yesterday I finally reached 1,000 miles so I opened it up to find quite a bit of oil.
3EA0E0E4-6035-4808-9240-E5428DEBACC4.jpeg

So after seeing this I feel at least my motor will benefit from a catch can. I’m moving to TN next week so I have cleaned the can out and will be checking it once we arrive. That will be roughly 2100 miles so I’m expecting at least double that amount of oil. Would definitely be interested in seeing others results to get a better feel if it’s just mine or if it’s the 100 motors in general.

Also side note I’m interested in seeing how the oil looks after the trip. Oil in the can looks pretty glittery but my engine oil is clean so I’m guessing the oil catch or hoses I used had s*** in them.
385FFCB7-3F66-4643-A864-82F03C98FD2D.jpeg

94SRUNNER

GOLD Star
I agree that these engines can benefit from a catch can and am glad to see you have good luck with the install.

One thing I noted on my 80 Series which I had installed for several years, is that on long trips I collected less oil than when I was just daily driving and my trips were less than 10-15 miles each way.

Where did you get your hose and was the fit snug on the engine fittings?

@molonlabemike thanks for posting I have a couple catch cans I was going to install along with some other stuff but I think I may go ahead and put them on first. I got two, one for each bank.

@94SRUNNER makes sense because on short trips there is a lot of condensation that builds up and more blow by with cold rings.

I agree that these engines can benefit from a catch can and am glad to see you have good luck with the install.

One thing I noted on my 80 Series which I had installed for several years, is that on long trips I collected less oil than when I was just daily driving and my trips were less than 10-15 miles each way.

Where did you get your hose and was the fit snug on the engine fittings?
We shall see but I do believe you are right. Most of my driving lately has been shorter trips aka less then 100 miles at a time. For hoses I had some extra 3/8 fuel hose that I stuck in hot water to loosen up then slipped them over the fittings.

suprarx7nut

The YotaMD Guy
Supporting Vendor
That's pretty cool. Bonus points if you can add a drain back to the pan, perhaps with a little inline filter to prevent your lines or the can from adding any crap to the primary oil filter. Catch cans are something I think should be on most engines. More OEMs seemed to be including them 5-10 years ago. I'm a bit behind on modern engines so maybe it's even a standard thing by now? 🤷

That's pretty cool. Bonus points if you can add a drain back to the pan, perhaps with a little inline filter to prevent your lines or the can from adding any crap to the primary oil filter. Catch cans are something I think should be on most engines. More OEMs seemed to be including them 5-10 years ago. I'm a bit behind on modern engines so maybe it's even a standard thing by now? 🤷

a oil return would be pretty slick (no pun 😂). I had that on my STI years ago and it was a no fuss and no mess setup. I figure with this the cost of entry is really cheap and install is super easy most guys on here could do it in an hour with limited tools.

@molonlabemike thanks for posting I have a couple catch cans I was going to install along with some other stuff but I think I may go ahead and put them on first. I got two, one for each bank.

@94SRUNNER makes sense because on short trips there is a lot of condensation that builds up and more blow by with cold rings.
I will be interested in seeing yours, I may copy.

Typically, the muck found in catch cans is not the type of stuff you want to recycle into your oil pan.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
That is a lot of oil. What lines exactly are you putting these things in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom