Catalytic Converters (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

batthewmrown

SILVER Star
Threads
It’s time for a new CAT and I’m obsessing over which one to get. CARB compliant for sure, as CO is only getting stricter on emissions. Shop says to get universal because they’ll weld it in. My main question is regarding the thermo sensor port. Magnaflow with the port is ~$500, without is ~$200. Do I need to shell out for the ported one or will I be fine without?

I’ve searched and had no luck finding what people have actually used, just some blanket suggestions. 10/85 FJ60.

In CA we need to keep the thermosenaor because it is part of the original emissions system. However it is used to over ride the air injection system if the Cat is getting too hot. You probably don’t need it if you otherwise keep your engine in tune and running well.

As @2mbb said- the thermosensor is a safety feature to prevent the cat from melting your cruiser if it overheats. I've never experienced or read of a CAT overheat incident, but it's got to be unpleasant enough to do whatever is necessary to prevent it from happening in the first place.

My vote: pony up and get the cat with the sensor port. The cheaper non-ported cat isn't something Toyota would ever sell and probably isn't even legal for an OEM.

That Thermosensor was more important for the old OE giant brick restrictive CAT. New Magnaflow aren't so bad and much less restrictive, but if you have TS and it's working, no reason to discard, or if you want to, carefully remove it and sell it to ME! (in Kalif) to help pay for your new CAT!

You can use the 48-State bolt in from Magnaflow with no issues. It has the Thermo port and is the EXACT same CAT but without the CARB cert. A Magnaflow employee told me that.

Magnaflow also has a weld-in version of the above with the Thermo port.

Last edited:
That Thermosensor was more important for the old OE giant brick restrictive CAT. New Magnaflow aren't so bad and much less restrictive, but if you have TS and it's working, no reason to discard, or if you want to, carefully remove it and sell it to ME! (in Kalif) to help pay for your new CAT!

You can use the 48-State bolt in from Magnaflow with no issues. It has the Thermo port and is the EXACT same CAT but without the CARB cert. A Magnaflow employee told me that.

Is there any advantage to the weld in over a bolt-up? PITA factor, I’m assuming.

No advantage to the end user. Just cheaper to manufacture. Also a full custom exhaust would be easier for a shop to build with a weld in cat than trying to fab the flanges.

Well, it will depend on what you currently have. If the bolt in kind (like stock) is still there, then it's just a matter of out with the old, bolt in the new. Old CATs were bigger and more restrictive, but lasted for 25 years. New CATs don't last nearly as long, particularly if you're using high-zinc/phos oil (zddp), so for me, there's the advantage of just being able to bolt a new one in, in my driveway. I use Brass fasteners and lots of copper anti-seize so it all comes apart fairly easy.

If your current one is a weld in, then I'd just let the Muffler shop replace what's cheapest.

There will be a difference in the labor, prolly, if they have to build you a new bolt-in setup, with flanges.

I used the bolt in magnaflow with the sensor port. It bolts on in five minutes. And in the future if I need to replace it I don’t have to bring it to a shop that has to drop everything out of the truck to weld it up. It would be nice not to have exhaust leaks but I think that’s more to do with old worn out exhaust pipes.

I used the bolt in magnaflow with the sensor port. It bolts on in five minutes. And in the future if I need to replace it I don’t have to bring it to a shop that has to drop everything out of the truck to weld it up. It would be nice not to have exhaust leaks but I think that’s more to do with old worn out exhaust pipes.
Did you go with CA or FED spec?

I have had two of the weld-in CA versions installed, one because I needed it and the second because I thought I needed it but probably didn't.

My flange bolts were corroded and seized so both times I bought the cat online, took it to an exhaust shop, and had it welded in. 15 minutes, 60 bucks. Really easy work for an exhaust shop. They cut the pipe between the flanges and the cat so you could always go back to a bolt in somewhere down the road. No issue keeping the thermosensor.

If I was you, I'd inspect the bolts and then go from there. And get a Federal version for a little less $$.

I have a bolt in. One advantage of that is that when pulling out the manifolds or changing the flange gasket, you can easily unbolt the downpipe and get things moved out of the way. The cat-back half of the exhaust may also still be available from toyota - bolt up

Did you go with CA or FED spec?

You usually can't find the CA/NY versions of the CATs outside those States because they're twice the price of the 48 State flavors. You can order a CA/NY version online and have it shipped to you, but you're wasting your money. If it's not mandated in your State, you'd only be paying for Kalif and NYs certification requirements (which costs the mfg lots of $$$) and it's really just another way to fooking squeeze tax money out of people.

Thanks everyone for your help and input. First things first, I’m gonna dump some denatured alcohol in the tank and try and see where that gets me on emissions. Next, I’ll see what my bolt-up prospects are looking like and if that’s a no-go, I’ll have a Fed spec one welded in. For you poor California SOBs that have to pay $700 for a CAT, my deepest sympathies.

But won't the smog tech look for a CA stamping on the CAT (for those in CA)?

Thanks everyone for your help and input. First things first, I’m gonna dump some denatured alcohol in the tank and try and see where that gets me on emissions. Next, I’ll see what my bolt-up prospects are looking like and if that’s a no-go, I’ll have a Fed spec one welded in. For you poor California SOBs that have to pay $700 for a CAT, my deepest sympathies.
You could screw around with that. Or you could screw around with this.

I had the tech check my magnaflow cat numbers when I had my smog done this year... Normally I have the skid plate on and they can't see it but this go-around I had it off. No worries since I have a CA certified cat. When tuning these rigs for smog, nothing better than an airflow sensor. Weld a bung into your exhaust pipe and get one of the wideband sensors and meters off amazon. I only use this to check everything before smog it is not a permanent mount. Allows you to dial in the mixture spot on

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom