Catalytic Converters Stolen: USAA only covering non-CARB compliant replacement. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My catalytic converters were stolen while parked at Portland International Airport (PDX) last week and my insurance company (USAA) will only cover the replacement with the absolute cheapest option available. They note the following NAPA models in the claim estimate: 54567: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/EXH54567 and 16347: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/EXH16347
On the NAPA website, both of these models state that they are not legal for SALE or USE in California and Colorado.

I live in Oregon, so they are claiming that this is all they will cover, but I am concerned that if I travel or move to California (a real possibility, my wife's career may change soon) I would technically not be legal and would fail an inspection. I'd then have to tear out these cats and replace them with more expensive ones at my own cost. Is anyone familiar with this practice? It seems wrong that my vehicle is losing the ability to legally operate or be registered in two states after following through with the insurance claim. I understand that they are not required to replace parts with OEM, but it still seems I am not being made whole if I go from a 50 state legal vehicle to a 48 state legal vehicle after the incident.

Has anyone had experience with this type of situation? Is it worth fighting? Any magic words I can use to get my case elevated or reconsidered? I am still working with the claim agent, but getting stone walled so far -- so much for USAA taking care of decade plus loyal customers I guess.

Finally, do you see any other damage or missing components other than the two cats? Front O2 sensor is there and appears unharmed.

1637097365828.png

I want to be on your side but seeing as how when they pay you out my rates go up I'm on their side. They are offering a Cat that is legal in the state you reside in. If you want the 50 state legal you should pay the difference for your personal interest in moving to CA or CO (don't move to either BTW they both suck).

Sorry it got stolen. It is out of control especially in cities. Look on the bright side, once you move to a city in CA or CO likely it will get stolen again so next time you'll get a 50 state legal one then.

The whole situation sucks. Be happy insurance is even covering it. People with Prius and F150 are screwed as nothing factory is available to them.

Is your car a 48 state car or a 50 state car? You know under the hood that sticker that says something like, "This car meets USEPA regulations and the State of California emission standards"? Hopefully it's a 50 state car, then your argument is, by law (and my policy) you are obligated to repair my car to its previously undamaged condition (which is a 50 state car). Using the part that USAA is advocating for will reduce my car to a 48 state car. And, of course, there are the magic two words, "bad faith". I'm also sure USAA and Oregon have insurance dispute resolution procedures.

IIRC, federal law (EPA) requires you to have a cat that matches your emissions sticker under the hood. If it’s 50-state emissions sticker, which it should be because it’s a 97, then you’re required under law to have a CARB cat.

My catalytic converters were stolen while parked at Portland International Airport (PDX) last week and my insurance company (USAA) will only cover the replacement with the absolute cheapest option available. They note the following NAPA models in the claim estimate: 54567: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/EXH54567 and 16347: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/EXH16347
On the NAPA website, both of these models state that they are not legal for SALE or USE in California and Colorado.

I live in Oregon, so they are claiming that this is all they will cover, but I am concerned that if I travel or move to California (a real possibility, my wife's career may change soon) I would technically not be legal and would fail an inspection. I'd then have to tear out these cats and replace them with more expensive ones at my own cost. Is anyone familiar with this practice? It seems wrong that my vehicle is losing the ability to legally operate or be registered in two states after following through with the insurance claim. I understand that they are not required to replace parts with OEM, but it still seems I am not being made whole if I go from a 50 state legal vehicle to a 48 state legal vehicle after the incident.

Has anyone had experience with this type of situation? Is it worth fighting? Any magic words I can use to get my case elevated or reconsidered? I am still working with the claim agent, but getting stone walled so far -- so much for USAA taking care of decade plus loyal customers I guess.

Finally, do you see any other damage or missing components other than the two cats? Front O2 sensor is there and appears unharmed.

View attachment 2840834
If that is FACTORY exhaust, then they should replace it with FACTORY exhaust. Yes, it is available. It also happens to be 50 state compliant and it is 409SS.

The insurance company should replace it back to pre-incident condition. A new Toyota exhaust is about $3000 for the parts only, but it bolts right in.

If that is FACTORY exhaust, then they should replace it with FACTORY exhaust. Yes, it is available. It also happens to be 50 state compliant and it is 409SS.

The insurance company should replace it back to pre-incident condition. A new Toyota exhaust is about $3000 for the parts only, but it bolts right in.
It varies by state and by policy. Most policies allow for aftermarket parts. Some states stipulate that if the vehicle is newer than X then the owner can specify oem etc.

Did you type that with a straight face? Because that is hilarious and contradictory. Pre-incident would suggest a used part which they don't do for exhausts. If an aftermarket part exists insurance will use that before factory. Don't like it then take it up with that multi billion dollar industry. Call the manager of USAA lol

No way I could work in an industry where I had to deal with the public. I would tell so many people to take their "i am the most important person in the world" mentality and find another company to be insured by. When I deal with insurance and I get a quote I usually have no comment as estimators do this work everyday all day and outside of a few mistakes are pretty darn good at getting me maximum benefit for an incident. Just cut me a check and I'll DIY and pocket the change. I wouldn't even go to insurance for a Cat as it is under $500 at a muffler shop and I can get a cage installed while I am there. It is so bad in Oregon they had to pass a law to stop the nonsense of businesses buying these obviously stolen goods from meth heads.

Did you type that with a straight face? Because that is hilarious and contradictory. Pre-incident would suggest a used part which they don't do for exhausts. If an aftermarket part exists insurance will use that before factory. Don't like it then take it up with that multi billion dollar industry. Call the manager of USAA lol

No way I could work in an industry where I had to deal with the public. I would tell so many people to take their "i am the most important person in the world" mentality and find another company to be insured by. When I deal with insurance and I get a quote I usually have no comment as estimators do this work everyday all day and outside of a few mistakes are pretty darn good at getting me maximum benefit for an incident. Just cut me a check and I'll DIY and pocket the change. I wouldn't even go to insurance for a Cat as it is under $500 at a muffler shop and I can get a cage installed while I am there. It is so bad in Oregon they had to pass a law to stop the nonsense of businesses buying these obviously stolen goods from meth heads.
So you'd prefer to have them install whatever cheap Chine$e crap they want to throw on there for yours? Why do you pay premiums?

Not me. I'm going to fight and push to have it made right, as that is the purpose of insurance.

@MoJ made a decent argument about it, but what does the policy state? I'm still going to push for the best I can get.

I don't want s***ty parts on my truck, as it "spits out" most of the aftermarket crap I have tried. Never had that happen before.

a modern cat even if it made in China (like that truly makes a difference) is better than what Toyota used in 1997. if you have aftermarket parts falling off your truck maybe you ought to talk to your mechanic because your truck doesn't care what country the part is made in. it is a piece of metal with essentially a filter and heat shielding not a moon rover.

BTW this topic is well covered on the internet. Lawyers love to give advice that you should demand OEM parts while forgetting to mention that you can ask for an OEM policy and pay the premium. Engineers and economists say save your breath and your money.

Last edited:

I gotta agree here. Apples to apples. You bought a Toyota with parts from Japan, not a Chinese aftermarket. Push for OEM. Heck the entire exhaust. If they will not pay for that, I would ask for the money and buy used OEMs. I may know someone who has that :) GL

a modern cat even if it made in China (like that truly makes a difference) is better than what Toyota used in 1997. if you have aftermarket parts falling off your truck maybe you ought to talk to your mechanic because your truck doesn't care what country the part is made in. it is a piece of metal with essentially a filter and heat shielding not a moon rover.

BTW this topic is well covered on the internet. Lawyers love to give advice that you should demand OEM parts while forgetting to mention that you can ask for an OEM policy and pay the premium. Engineers and economists say save your breath and your money.
Do you do your own work?

Do you know how to turn a wrench?

Do you understand the differences between aftermarket parts and OEM parts?

There is a reason why older Toyota cats get a premium at the scrapper. They contain a s*** ton of platinum and palladium, which is why most 80s are doing fine with 20 year old cats. There is no way a cheap cat will last even half that long. I also guarantee Chinese 409ss is not equivalent to US or Japanese 409.

Crazy to see all of these cat thefts. It should not be legal to recycle them anymore. Problem somewhat solved.

For insurance...I am tempted to switch to Chubbs. They will cover OEM parts when available and cut you a check for the amount. You pick where to take your vehicle or DIY and pocket the rest.

Yeah.
You're missing a dead thief.
Been there, done that, in CO.
Get it replaced under insurance, as little cost to you as possible.
Hide it thereafter if you move. Or...
...place more priority on the move.
Communists do not rest.

You are overthinking it. If you ever move to Commifornia, you have a excuse to buy sliders with cat protection. I never had them inspect my cats. Probably to lazy since I have Hannah sliders.

Worst case just wheel a bit in mud to get them dirty.

Old Toyota cats are far superior to the new Chinese cars period. I’ve burned the cash to find out.

Now I love Colorado but it’s quickly becoming over run by Californians and Texans who are bringing s***ty policy with them, which is why we now have to have Cali cats.

So I can tell you that they do not look for Cali/colo compliant stamps on the cats at the emissions roller, they just check for the presence of the cats. I purchased the “high quality aftermarket” cats from cruiser parts here:

In 2016 and used them to pass emissions in 2016, 2018 and just barely in 2020. I imagine I will need to replace them again to have any chance to pass in 2022, of course I will need to do the work myself or take it to Wyoming.

Or I could just spend $400 in Montana and get a lifetime plate emissions free…

Well there’s all sorts of ways to avoid emissions, there are several states and specifically counties within those states which will allow you to register your vehicle there (like Montana and Idaho) with pretty light proof of residence.

I’ve got to do some more research but what I was told from my cruiser friend in Montana is that any vehicle over 11 years old is eligible for one time lifetime registration, and proof of residency is as light as having a PO Box once.

Even if you wanted to stay with a CO plate you just need a friend in a county that doesn’t require emissions who you “can be a roommate with” to get the address confirmation.

I’ve got to do some more research but what I was told from my cruiser friend in Montana is that any vehicle over 11 years old is eligible for one time lifetime registration, and proof of residency is as light as having a PO Box once.

Even if you wanted to stay with a CO plate you just need a friend in a county that doesn’t require emissions who you “can be a roommate with” to get the address confirmation.
Well I can't accommodate the latter, but I'm all in on the former. Looking to vacation in MT here soon.

Old Toyota cats are far superior to the new Chinese cars period. I’ve burned the cash to find out.

Now I love Colorado but it’s quickly becoming over run by Californians and Texans who are bringing s***ty policy with them, which is why we now have to have Cali cats.

So I can tell you that they do not look for Cali/colo compliant stamps on the cats at the emissions roller, they just check for the presence of the cats. I purchased the “high quality aftermarket” cats from cruiser parts here:

In 2016 and used them to pass emissions in 2016, 2018 and just barely in 2020. I imagine I will need to replace them again to have any chance to pass in 2022, of course I will need to do the work myself or take it to Wyoming.

Or I could just spend $400 in Montana and get a lifetime plate emissions free…

Lol. Texans have nothing to do with Colorado changing to more restrictive emissions laws. The “native” attitude is the problem, spend more time complaining about others and less time focusing on local and state politics.

Lol. Texans have nothing to do with Colorado changing to more restrictive emissions laws. The “native” attitude is the problem, spend more time complaining about others and less time focusing on local and state politicIs,
I'd wager it's the Austin, Texans causing the issue. lol
Afterall, most Austin, Texans are tax-dodging CAs by birth.

Ok, ok. Enough of that, Mr Admin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom