Catalytic converter theft protection (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Civil Offroad -- do your Dissent skids make it difficult to change your oil? I just had my cats stolen on my 04' LX470 and was looking at Slee but their belly skid is currently out of stock. Figured I might go for the full Dissent skid package.

No, I did like @Odyseuss and added a Fumoto Valve. This works wonders for me! Easier for Georg at Valley Hybrids @orangefj45 to work on!

Amazon product ASIN B07D9DXCHP

Last edited:
Had the cat stolen from wifey 470 last week myself. These ****ers are pricey!

going to fab up a plate today to try to protect it.
Was hoping Mud would have some products for this already!!

Had the cat stolen from wifey 470 last week myself. These f***ers are pricey!

going to fab up a plate today to try to protect it.
Was hoping Mud would have some products for this already!!
Did they get all three of them making it like a $3k parts replacement? Hope insurance is helping cover it. Seems like the dissent skids are the best coverage for them at the moment.

Still don’t understand why folks aren’t just filing insurance claims to get their stolen cats replaced.

driver side only taken thankfully

if your vehicle is covered by insurance for a theft like this it can be helpful. the lexus stealership wants 1500 to install in my area. after seeing how expensive they are i imagine it comes close to a total loss for a large fraction of cruisers of this value range.

Dissent skids look like fine. anybody have em?

Dissent skids look like fine. anybody have em?
Lots of people:

Lots of people:
i actually happened across the thread late last night. the photos i found there were a lot better advertisments compared to the dissentoffroad webpage. their website needs a serious overhaul

going to order a set this week.

0D55303D-6E88-409D-B837-F0D7187E4973.jpeg

the Asfir gear skid plate offers some catalytic converter protection. They’ll be able to cut one side of the cat, but can’t access the other side unless they take down the skid

View attachment 2675761
the Asfir gear skid plate offers some catalytic converter protection. They’ll be able to cut one side of the cat, but can’t access the other side unless they take down the skid
i was looking at their stuff, looks fine. but then i saw it would be shipped from israel and imagined that would be a minute, how was shipping time for ya?

I had one of those fancy locks on my hitch...cause I didn't want someone stealing a $30 hitch. Couldn't fit the key in the lock a few years later. So pulled out the grinder and cut it off in 20 secs.

Shoulda never bought the lock...

i was looking at their stuff, looks fine. but then i saw it would be shipped from israel and imagined that would be a minute, how was shipping time for ya?
Their shipping from Israel is even faster than domestic shipping in US. However, YMMV...

The rule of thumb for thieves is easy pickings... Can they steal the skids and cats... of course.

But it it will take time and effort. By the time they steal yours, they can do a few other cars.

Getting the skids is probably a good idea.

Got a taste of this first-hand myself, stolen cats, but luckily it was first-hand in the sense that multiple other cars in the same public lot were hit - but not ours (it was a friend's car). Got back to the lot and cops were present with a lot of folks walking around. Walked up to find out 5 cars had been hit, smashed windows. Nobody had realized cats were gone until the first vehicle started to leave. Only ones with cats missing were SUVs oddly enough.

Got a taste of this first-hand myself, stolen cats, but luckily it was first-hand in the sense that multiple other cars in the same public lot were hit - but not ours (it was a friend's car). Got back to the lot and cops were present with a lot of folks walking around. Walked up to find out 5 cars had been hit, smashed windows. Nobody had realized cats were gone until the first vehicle started to leave. Only ones with cats missing were SUVs oddly enough.

Probably all about the extra working clearance. I think I just talked myself into upping my timeline for adding a set of dissent skids.

I don't understand how people are getting any value out of a stolen catalytic converter now-a-days? When they show up to a junk yard with a hacked off cat doesn't the yard get suspicious... Maybe they just don't care?

Also, how is someone hacking off parts from your truck without the owner knowing? If some jerky boy was under my truck stealing parts I think I would know but I guess in certain environments the theft can be undetected.

I don't understand how people are getting any value out of a stolen catalytic converter now-a-days? When they show up to a junk yard with a hacked off cat doesn't the yard get suspicious... Maybe they just don't care?

Also, how is someone hacking off parts from your truck without the owner knowing? If some jerky boy was under my truck stealing parts I think I would know but I guess in certain environments the theft can be undetected.

I think its more the shady places that buy them. I know in Queens we used to have blocks of chop shops that didn't care where the car/parts came from.

As for how I know we typically think of saw and grinders but there also are other types of cutters that are extremely quiet and quick. I think for some of this, even if we heard someone under the truck they might be gone before we get out there. I know I typically hear about them happening at parking lots for park-n-ride type things where you can know someone will be gone for at least an hour plus and more likely 8 hours.

As far as I know they aren't being sold to reuse, it's all about the precious metals within it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom